How much do you really get out

98dango

Expedition Leader
Sitting at dinner with my inlaws last night the posed a question. How often do I actually use my truck for more than back and forth to work.

My only answer was not enough. I have enough money tied up in trucks for various uses I could pay cash for a nice house.

But my wife and I get out quite often at least 2 10day plus trips a year. Then our weekends hear and there. We haven't much in the last 3 months with moving new jobs.

So how often do you really get out. Do you make one big trip or a bunch of short trips.

Chris85xlt

Adventurer
Before the 18 month old baby and new house we would take a small and/or long trips once a month. Now 1 or maybe 2 short trips a year lol

craig333

Expedition Leader
A bunch of short trips. I dream of being able to do a long trip but thats probably going to have to wait for retirement.

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
We did a 14 day 3,600 mile trip and a 9 day 1,500 trip last year plus another 10 trips ranging from overnight to 4 days. Planning for 2 or 3 night trip this month or early next to go crabbing. We try to get out at least once a month. Hear you about the long trips. So much angst from my boss about taking two weeks in a row off.

Dazrin

Adventurer
Just like you "not enough". My kids are 5 and 3 and my wife isn't able to handle it physically like she used to, but my 5 y.o. loves it, so hopefully we can go out together more without the others this year. As she is getting older it is getting much easier to do that.

So far just two trips for this year planned, plus some other one day wheeling trips (3-4 so far).

HotrodSmurf

Observer
In the two years I've had my jeep I've probably hit the dirt 10 times, and those were tiny, tiny trips. The problem is the jeep itself. It's either broken or I'm too worried it's going to die in the boonies. This year I'm getting a vehicle I can trust and get back at it.

madmax718

Explorer
Its a time issue for me. Too busy working, not enough time playing. I did take a week long (or was it 8 days) trip to alaska- and it was great. But that was sept. Its now january. I was going to fly out and travel for a few days, but work swamped me and canceled the trip. Then I tried another weekend, then the snow got me. lol.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
We do lots of weekend trips...try for at least once a month.
Longer than weekend is usually during the summer when the kids are out of school.
I slowed down my travel the last 6 months -1yr but I want to get back to it this summer.

In a couple more years when the younger boy gets out of high school my wife and I will be doing a BUNCH more travel :)

Great thing about my job is that I can get 6 days off in a row without having to use vacation....if I use 3 days of PTO then I can get 13 days off :) Not as good as it used to me but still very nice.

GDSQDCR

Adventurer
Once a year we are getting out for 2-3 weeks, averaging 4000 miles.

Other than that, 2-3 times camping a year. Not enough, but boys are young, they play baseball, and we have large families which equal at least once a month getting together.

stioc

Expedition Leader
I've been lucky enough to manage a few 3-7 day trips (Mojave Rd, Death Valley, Moab) in the last 1.5yrs of getting back into offroading/overlanding. I also try to do a day/weekend trip at least every other month.

LuckyDan

Adventurer
Put me in the "not enough" crowd. Used to do better when I was single and then when my children were younger, goes against conventional wisdom I know. Kinda double whammied by budget cuts under employing my wife and us assisting my boys to not wind up with mortgage sized college loans. Still get lucky with something overnight/3night camping/outdoor oriented once a month or a little less. Big trip for me is 7-9 days and haven't done one of those in a couple of years. Other thing that's a barrier is work taking me away from time to time. At my house it's a tough sell to head out after being gone for a week or two.

Thanks for asking...

LR Max

Local Oaf
Not enough here as well. I try to do a day trip about once a month. Can't in January and I doubt I can pull one off in February. That said, I'm taking January to get a bunch of stuff fixed on the truck.

I say its difficult because my significant other has no interest in it. When you are surrounded by those around you, this sport (for a lack of a better term) its a lot easier to actually get out and go.

1stDeuce

Explorer
This very question came up between my GF and I concerning our truck camper... I suggested we don't use it much, so it might be time to get rid of it. She countered that we do use it enough, and she doesn't want to go back to sleeping on the ground. :) We added it up, and found that at that time, we had stayed in it more than 30 nights over the previous 12 months. Consider that we had tent camped a few trips, and hoteled it a few times, I guess we do get out! We tend to do weekend trips, or three day trips, and we use it some to support her running races. I should add that we have two larger needy dogs, but no kids. Not that having kids is a good excuse to stay home! Pack 'em up and get out there! Kids love camping and exploring too!! :)
Chris

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
As much as I can, simply put. I'm fortunate to work in a business that makes travel possible but also allows me to make that travel work as business. I don't make as much as some of my college peers and surely I don't save as much as I should... but I'm living and loving it. My wife is very open to travel, often she joins me and when she doesn't she supports me in travel. Happy wife is a happy life. Last year will be hard to beat for me personally, traveled in a dozen countries on different trips as well as a handful of shorter trips here in Utah as well. Fwiw my 2013 travel was here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/120676-My-2013-In-Pictures

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Not enough.

5 or 6 camping trips with the family in our Family Trailer, and maybe twice a year a few nights at a time in the RTT. Sad really, I was thinking of selling the XJ and the trailer this past fall for this very reason.

Luckily I came to my senses!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior