How much did you buy your G-Wagen at? and your Maintenance/upgrades

laukwantaieric

Hi all,

G has always been my dream car in terms of outlook (the design, the military history, the built quality etc) I am wondering how much did you guys purchase your G-Wagen at? And how much Maintenance/upgrades

I would love the join the G-Wagen club but I am eager to learn a bit more about what kind of expense I am getting myself into.

Thank you in advance!
Eric

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
These are questions for which the answers would be dependent upon too many variables to be meaningful. Sorry.

A couple of examples may explain. What I paid for a new 280GE in Stuttgart in 1984 has no meaning today. Also, what I paid for a $160k 2000 G500 in 2002 (18 months old) is also meaningless today.

Check Ebay to get an idea of what they're costing today. Go join one of the G-Class Internet forums, and do some reading. That will provide you better answers than you can get here.

rexwang

Observer
almost bought a 2005 G500 with less than 80k miles on it for $22k at a local GMC dealership. turns out, it wasnt "clean" enough for me to spend $22k on. still a very nice vehicle but you could tell it wasnt taken care of very well. I probably could have talked them down to $20k but i ended up getting a 2005 dub cab tundra for a killer deal. this was about 3 years ago.

Scott Brady

Founder
The G-Klasse can vary widely in cost, but the clean pre-2000 463s are on the upswing for value. I was tempted to buy a clean G500 or G55 instead of restoring mine. Ultimately, I am glad we stayed with the G320, a far more reliable and serviceable platform. The next few years will be a treasure for importing an EU G300TD 463, once they hit the 25 year mark.

zimm

Expedition Leader
there was 40k mile 07 g55amg that went for 60 around here. that was tempting. ive never been a big HP fan for an offroad truck, but in the g's case, it really is what sets it apart. the 07 has a 5speed, so i wouldnt have worried about reliability.

r3run33

Adventurer
artie thanks for the link; I too have been bite by the G wagon bug and have been researching; I'm in Jersey close to philly and they are popular here; they problem I found that maintenance can be sporadic with some of the owners of these new (either can't be bothered or don't care because they don't plan on long term keep) if yu find an actual G you can afford do research and try to find maintenance records. The biggest problem is that parts are very expensive; let alone the guy who will do the labor for you at the Merc dealership; unless you can find a mechanic with the software. Here is the biggest problem; most companies now a days are proprietary with there software; so you need someone who has access to this or pay at dealership

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
The parts are no more or less expensive than parts for any MB vehicle. They can be had for as little as 25% off MBUSA's MSRP, if you shop around. If you don't, your local dealer will probably charge "Matrix Pricing", which is MSRP plus a markup of as much as 100%; and MBUSA approves of this tactic.

Many independent shops have the pirated software. Ask around.

artiei

Observer
artie thanks for the link; I too have been bite by the G wagon bug and have been researching; I'm in Jersey close to philly and they are popular here; they problem I found that maintenance can be sporadic with some of the owners of these new (either can't be bothered or don't care because they don't plan on long term keep) if yu find an actual G you can afford do research and try to find maintenance records. The biggest problem is that parts are very expensive; let alone the guy who will do the labor for you at the Merc dealership; unless you can find a mechanic with the software. Here is the biggest problem; most companies now a days are proprietary with there software; so you need someone who has access to this or pay at dealership

I've got a couple of classic cars including a 1984 Mercedes 280SL. In my experience, the repairs on the engine and transmission of the G-Wagos of the 80's are just as expensive and require the same parts as just about any mercedes from that era. The 280GD has the M110 engine and not many 280 cars were sold in the US so that may be some what of an issue. Plus the 280 is a 6 cyl, but has dual overhead cams, so valve work is more expensive. that engine is amazing though. I've got it in our 280SL and it flys.

The diesels are very easy to get parts for because so many diesels were sold during that period. Anyone that can work on a 300D can fix the engine in a 300GD. Likewise the transmissions are the same, except they vent from the top so you can drive them in deep water. Total transmission rebuild will set you back about $1700, exact same price of just about any other Mercedes from the 80's.

Body parts are also easy to get as are most interior parts. Honestly, I'm paying less to maintain my G-Wagon than my 280SL and it is way more fun to drive. Just get one WITHOUT RUST! Body repair on any car is costly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles