How miserable is it to drive a RHD "manual" 81?

SoyBoy

It's all roses till you slip up and revert back to old habits.
Therein lies the concern nagging me in the back of my mind!
I like/love living life to the edge but.

Takes just 1 mistake - one error in judgment

And I'm not thinking just signal light switches and wiper blades snaffus!

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
I've spent probably 5 months in France with a RHD car; I've also used RHD work vans over there.

My rule was to drive RHD or LHD that day, not both - it made it easier to think about it (or, not think about it)

The only time I ended up on the wrong side of the road was wehn there were some roadworks that sent you the RHD way around a roundabout, so it obviously made sense to be on the left of the road... luckily it was a quiet road and the roadworks had it closed off, and I'd only gone to the wrong side of the island!

al_burpe

Observer
I lived in Uganda for two years which is a RHD country and then moved to South Sudan which is LHD for three years. I got used to driving RHD in Uganda but then in South Sudan the vehicles were a mix of RHD and LHD even though they drive on the right side of the road. Complicating it further is that I would drive both RHF and LHD vehicles across the border in both countries. All that to say that I eventually just got to the point of being able to switch back and forth pretty seamlessly. Before getting in any vehicle, I would check for the steering wheel. You start to automatically think about what vehicle you are driving before shifting, and using the turn signal. You also think through the side of the road you need to be on. It definitely takes more 5 minutes but your brain does eventually start to process the information about driving without you thinking about it. I do remember a lot of banging my hand into the door as I reached for the shifter at first and the turn signals/wipers were problematic for a while.

SoyBoy

I lived in Uganda for two years which is a RHD country and then moved to South Sudan which is LHD for three years. I got used to driving RHD in Uganda but then in South Sudan the vehicles were a mix of RHD and LHD even though they drive on the right side of the road. Complicating it further is that I would drive both RHF and LHD vehicles across the border in both countries. All that to say that I eventually just got to the point of being able to switch back and forth pretty seamlessly. Before getting in any vehicle, I would check for the steering wheel. You start to automatically think about what vehicle you are driving before shifting, and using the turn signal. You also think through the side of the road you need to be on. It definitely takes more 5 minutes but your brain does eventually start to process the information about driving without you thinking about it. I do remember a lot of banging my hand into the door as I reached for the shifter at first and the turn signals/wipers were problematic for a while.
A very thorough description of what anyone who wants to venture into a RHD manual might expect. THX

T-Willy

C p - The passing part was one of my first concerns.
- I have the ignition key in the wrong hand all the time in my 993!
- good point wrt Japanese engineers - bonus...

You're planning Central or South America, correct? You've probably already done so, but if not, it might be worth verifying the legality of RHD vehicles in countries you plan to visit. I've read in the past of some countries in the Americas barring entry of RHD vehicles. I have no idea what those circumstances were or are today, but it might be worth checking.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I've spent probably 5 months in France with a RHD car; I've also used RHD work vans over there.

My rule was to drive RHD or LHD that day, not both - it made it easier to think about it (or, not think about it)

The only time I ended up on the wrong side of the road was wehn there were some roadworks that sent you the RHD way around a roundabout, so it obviously made sense to be on the left of the road... luckily it was a quiet road and the roadworks had it closed off, and I'd only gone to the wrong side of the island!
RHD in Paris or the country?

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
RHD in Paris or the country?
Drove from Calais to the Ardeche as that's where I tended to work, and used to drive in Lyons and Nimes quite often.

Country I used to find more challenging as there was often less traffic and smaller roads whereas the big cities it was just like driving in any other multilane traffic anywhere in the world.

alanymarce

I've driven RHD vehicles on the right hand side of the road (much of Europe, Rwanda), and LHD vehicles on the left hand side of the road (UK, Australia). Never and issue, however as others have noted, overtaking requires thought (a co-pilot helps), remembering which side to drive can be aided by a sticker (I usually put a hat in front of the speedometer as a reminder). One thing to note, which others have not mentioned, is tollbooths, parking garage ticket machines, drive-in banks, and drive-in fast food restaurants, etc., - they are set up for drivers to reach the paypoint, ATM, or food window from the driver's side. It can be inconvenient on the autoroute in France to have to get out of the vehicle to pay the toll. If you have a co-pilot then there's no problem, however if not, it's a bit inconvenient.

alanymarce

I used to drive RHD and LHD vehicles in the same day frequently. I think the key is to think (actively) every time you get into the vehicle. Getting in the wrong side and discovering that there's no steering wheel is a clue : )

The most hazardous situation is when you pull off the road on the "wrong" side of the road (layby, viewpoint, etc.) and then return to the road when there's no other traffic - it's easy to set off automatically on the wrong side. Once again, a signal of some sort helps - sticker on the wheel, hat on the gear lever, whatever works for you.

Alternatively, drive only in countries where it doesn't matter. In Congo, for example, everyone chooses whichever side looks better so you'll often pass someone going the other way and both of you will be on the wrong side of the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne