How many use 120 VAC on a regular basis?

bshinn

Hi all,

New guy here, wondering how many people regularly use 120 VAC when you're off-grid?

New owner of a Crux 1610 and after getting it home and playing with it for a bit, I am not happy with the electrical system and am making a few changes. One of the major ones is deleting the inverter. I can't see any reason I would need it on the type of trips I take here in the east. I'm not retired, and don't make a living on YouTube unfortunately, so my trips will be in the 3-4 day range (If I'm lucky). Other than maybe recharging a laptop ( I'm going off grid to get away from the damn thing) I don't see a need. If I do need one the small 400W version I currently use for work would be sufficient. I could charge in the Jeep without losing space on the trailer.

What am I missing? The supplied 2K watt inverter takes a ton of valuable space and if I ditch it it will clean up some of the sub-par wiring.

Thanks.

Bob

old_CWO

When camping I avoid using any electrical devices at all besides a small flashlight, so inverters aren't on my list of needs. I like my weekend adventures best at a quiet place with a warm dry bed, a comfy chair, unhealthy food and way too much firewood.

bshinn

When camping I avoid using any electrical devices at all besides a small flashlight, so inverters aren't on my list of needs. I like my weekend adventures best at a quiet place with a warm dry bed, a comfy chair, unhealthy food and way too much firewood.
Totally concur........the only reason I need power is for some music and lighting that I can think of.

jwiereng

12 VDC is more useful to me. Plug in any automotive accessories, flashlights, lanterns, water pump, fridge etc.

What’s available for 12VAC?

Louisd75

Adventurer
12 VDC is more useful to me. Plug in any automotive accessories, flashlights, lanterns, water pump, fridge etc.

What’s available for 12VAC?

I think his thread title was meant to be 120vac :)

And I agree with sticking with 12vdc. There isn't anything that I use that I can't adapt to charge off 12vdc.

rkj__

Adventurer
In my teardrop, I don't have an inverter, but in rare cases, I camp on campsites that do have 120V AC hookups. With 120V service, I can run the air conditioner, but other than that, the only 120V AC device I sometimes pack and use, is an electric kettle. It's not hard to boil water on a gas stove, so the electric kettle is very much non-essential.

Most small electronics these days can charge via USB / 12V DC. I was watching for sales, and looking for a reason to get an inverter. Though I did find sales, I did not find a reason to buy an inverter.

So, my vote would be to ditch the inverter to free up space, and clean up the wiring like you were proposing.

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
Hi, I am on east coast as well.

I am upgrading electrical in 2001 small RV, I bought a 2000 watt inverter but after really analysing needs I returned it. If you are off-grid you need a pretty big battery bank to really get benefit of inverter if you really need it, and if you have shore power I don't think necessary anyway.

Teardropper

"New guy here, wondering how many people regularly use 120 VAC when you're off-grid?"

Never.

FDsQ48P.jpg

0B4ItNM.jpg

12V is fine.

T

bshinn

Finally convinced myself, the inverter came out last night. Going to save about 10#'s and give me some more storage space. Not to mention being able to clean up the rat's nest wiring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles