How many running the Rhino Backbone? Have you found a rear cargo area rack/shelf that will work?

SBSYNCRO

I want a rear rack/shelf to elevate my lighter weight items like clothes and sleeping gear, and I need it up high enough to clear my Dometic 50 fridge. The problem I'm running into is that all of the ones I can find rest on the sides of the tub where the hard top attaches. The problem is that this is precisely where the Rhino backbone also attaches, and because the lower brackets on the Rhino backbone are angle iron, the vertical protrusion prevents "stacking" another item on top of it.

For example, I just tried one of these:

I was really impressed with the quality and how light it is (aluminum). But it wont' fit because of the problem mentioned above.

I could probably spend many hours modifying it by cutting slots, but that would greatly diminish its strength, I'm sure.

Has anyone with the Rhino backbone found a good storage shelf that is compatible?

SBSYNCRO

I have the backbone in my 2009 JKU.

I've run it with a Tuffy cargo enclosure / deck (no interference issues).

For the height you are looking for I'd run this: https://vectoroffroad.com/collections/jk-wrangler-products/products/jk-highland-platform

I ended up going another direction and instead of a shelf I got one of these (which despite having limited depth, I love): https://grabarsusa.com/JKVAULT-CONCEALED-STORAGE-JEEP-LOCK-BOX

I used to have a Tuffy enclosure but I sold it because I wanted to use the entire rear deck area (I removed my rear seats). Also the top just didn't seem to be a good weight-bearing surface (no tie downs, pretty flexy)

The Vector Offroad one looks very nice. Priced accordingly. Its probably my #1 choice at this point, but I was trying to set aside some pennies for a Rhino 270º awning... :)

The Teraflex cargo rack should work. This one: Teraflex Jeep Wranger JKU Cargo Rack - ExploreOutdoor

That looks like a great option, too. The secret sauce of both these racks is the bracket that attaches to the roll cage. If I could just fab those, I could probably easily build a platform from a sheet of perforated 1/4" aluminum and some 80/20. Hmm.... Ideally I'd get something a bit wider since I don't have back seats. Most of these trays end at around 24" but I'd like something about 30".

Thank you both for the ideas - I had not seen that Teraflex one.

While searching for those, I also found this one that looks like it could work as well:

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I made my own, used exhaust clamp u-bolts to hold it to the sides of the roll bar and an upper hoop/cargo cage that has 4x 1” webbing straps with ladder lock style tensioners around the upper roll bar to keep it from pivoting around the u-bolts when loaded (ask how many trips it took to figure that out)...

I run around with stuff like cases of ... soda... loaded on it all the time, also camp stove, tent, duffles of clothes, etc. never an issue.

dukabor

I ordered up and am giving the Rusty's a shot, the ability to use with the soft top was key for me..... I have an ARB on a slider and an Action Packer hat will be underneath it.... will report back on how that works.... it is planned to arrive by the end of the week, and I may have some time (like we all do) on our hands to catch up on some installations....

mrjosh

Adventurer
I have the Vector Highlander along with the Rhino-Rack Backbone and they work well together. I previously had the Tuffy, then the Fab Fours cargo rack, then went to the Vector. I like how the Vector mounts and has a little over 24" of space between the rack and the floor, plenty to fit my IndelB fridge. I usually have 3 Front Runner cub packs on the Vector.

The Vector is an easy install. Two brackets clamp to the rear roll bar (no drilling). Also, it is quick to remove the platform from the brackets (3 wingnuts on each side) if you need the extra space.

SBSYNCRO

I have the Vector Highlander along with the Rhino-Rack Backbone and they work well together. I previously had the Tuffy, then the Fab Fours cargo rack, then went to the Vector. I like how the Vector mounts and has a little over 24" of space between the rack and the floor, plenty to fit my IndelB fridge. I usually have 3 Front Runner cub packs on the Vector.

The Vector is an easy install. Two brackets clamp to the rear roll bar (no drilling). Also, it is quick to remove the platform from the brackets (3 wingnuts on each side) if you need the extra space.

Did you have the Fab Four with the Rhino backbone?

Also, would you say that the Vector unit is sturdy enough to mount a Yeti 400 sized lithium battery pack (about 15 lbs)? It would be the perfect spot to have it face rear-ward so I can access the ports and controls easily, but keep it up out the way from things banging into the connections (like my dog or a rolling water jug that isn't secured properly...).

mrjosh

Adventurer
Did you have the Fab Four with the Rhino backbone?

Also, would you say that the Vector unit is sturdy enough to mount a Yeti 400 sized lithium battery pack (about 15 lbs)? It would be the perfect spot to have it face rear-ward so I can access the ports and controls easily, but keep it up out the way from things banging into the connections (like my dog or a rolling water jug that isn't secured properly...).
Yeah, I had the Fab Four with the backbone. Had to trim the brackets for the Fab Four to get it to work.

The vector is very sturdy. It can handle the weight of a yeti 400. I have had up to 3 cases of 48 count bottled water (~150lbs) on the vector with no issue.

SBSYNCRO

The vector is very sturdy. It can handle the weight of a yeti 400. I have had up to 3 cases of 48 count bottled water (~150lbs) on the vector with no issue.

Good to know! Now I just have to decide if its worth it to lose my overhead MOLLE rack, since it won't work with a shelf like the Vector.

IMG_2424 (2).jpgIMG_2425 (2).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94