How many of use are really prepared to live a long life?

I'd like to add to this discussion, from a young man's point of view. I'm glad to have found this thread, it really isnt a new topic to me, but its an important one none the less.
I like to use my dad and brothers as examples when talking about this to anyone, for they all have some very bad habits/problems that I feel will cause them misery later.

I lost my dad last year from a multitude of health problems. To start, he was marginally obese (healthy weight for him would have been 180, he weighed close to 240 before he pssed). His diet was very poor, ate anything and ate alot. He had cardiovascular diesease worse than most. He had a heart attack in his 40s and barely survived. Heart surgery fixed most of the problems for a while. Would have lived a little longer had he changed his diet and tried to exercise and NOT over work. He was a working man, didnt know anything else. He also had colon and liver cancer. Not once did I see him eat an apple and his favorite drink was coca cola.

My brothers arent much better. Poor diet. One smokes. One has chronic stress. I do not see either of them making 60... to be honest.

My wife has a degree in Nutrition and has taken her learnings out on me. I do not mind honestly. Love of life and family has made me change a lot. I ate LOTS of junk food. Oatmeal cream pies, zebra cakes, if Little Debby made it I likely ate it. I am not obese nor am I anywhere close to being fat. I'm 5'11 155lbs. I'm about 10 points into the healthy (sorry I used the Wii fitness scale to give me that number) .
Weight+Chart.jpg

Just for reference folks, use the chart above and find where you are at. If you have never seen this sort of chart and fall into Moderate or Severe overweight, you might need to go see a doctor.

Things my wife has helped me change:
Less junk food. I replaced alot of candy and snacks with fruit and yogurt.
Instead of that burger, I get subway or make my own sammich. If I'm lucky I might get taco bell.
I've started eating smaller portions of beef/pork and actually try to eat those veggies. Who knew that I deep down loved asparagus and broccoli.
We eat more fish now a days. Salmon is one of the best proteins we have learned.
Less soda, more fruit juices, or sports drinks (low calorie).

I try to exercise as much as possible, but its not enough. I battle lung issues. Nope never smoked. But i've had pneumonia at least 3 times and it seems every time I get nice and healthy while running, I catch a cold. Sucks.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
One thing is for sure. We are all going to die. Even those folks who enjoy life to the fullest and eat nothing but Tofu.. will die. Those who jog every day.. will die. those who smoke..will die, those who drink..will die. Those who don't drink.. will die. You may smoke and drink, yet live to be 100, or a plane may crash into your house tonight while you sleep after you get back from your ten mile run.

The time to do the things you "Always wanted to do".. is sooner then later.
Just my take.

DonL

My dad died at 45, his dad at 63. I`m 41 and worry about it sometimes. Heart disease is a big problem as well as alcoholism in my family.

I`m somewhat physically fit, eat right and have a beer or some wine once or twice a week. I hope I live long enough to see my daughter reach adulthood. She`s almost 2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94