How many of use are really prepared to live a long life?

ThomD

Explorer
There are a couple threads floating around where the focus is on (or has become) dealing with human conflict as a risk. While that's fun and all, how are we doing on the real threats?

Is everyone keeping their weight down? I had two morbidly obese Uncles who did not make it to 60 because of diabetes and strokes. If you are looking for what WILL kill you, that cheeseburger is high on the list.

Are we all getting enough exercise? The medically accepted standard for quantity and type of exercise to keep the heart healthy seems to be a moving target, so I'm trying to get 2 intense and one moderate work out (bike ride) per week. I'm not having much luck though because of my work schedule. I'm trying to figure out what I can change to get those 2 mid-week rides in.

Nobody drinks and drives, right? And no Mary Jane and driving either. Yes, there is a thread on another forum I read where that is a real topic of conversation. It is hard to tell if anyone is serious about it, but I suspect that one of two might be.

Moderate alcohol consumption? One shot per night is my desert when the wife has a little ice cream.

Seat belts baby, they're not just a fashion statement. Does anyone really pick one vehicle over another because of safety features? With ABS, front airbags, seat belts and structural improvements I figure cars are safe enough - side curtain airbags don't excite me.

Did you know that there are 60% more firearm suicides in the US than firearm homicides?

We are all above average drivers of course, so we don't tailgate or pass unsafely.

What's your favorite SPF? 30 used to be my standard, but now I see 50 and 70!

Does anyone still smoke? If you are planning to enjoy your grand kids...

I found these pretty interesting.

Preventable_causes_of_death.png

Causes_of_death_by_age_group_%28percent%29.png

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I ate right, had a bodyfat percentage between 9&14%, worked out rigorously, cholesterol level below 160 with correct ldl/hdl ratio, went back to college & studied nutrition, and even was a personal trainer for a while.
But I had heart disease the entire time and my physical conditioning fooled all the tests; I was walking around for years with 100% blockage of my left lower descending artery and finally had my widow-maker heart attack almost 2 years ago.

At the risk of embarrassing myself, here's a photo of me from Muscle & Fitness Magazine from 1993; I'm the guy under Joe Piscapo.
I just wanted to point out that it's good to eat right and be in shape. But nothing wins against genetics.
If I hadn't been a gym rat, I wouldn't have survived. My years of stairmaster built up a network of collateral arteries that sustained me.

BillCybergenics.jpg

bugnout

Adventurer
Did you know that there are 60% more firearm suicides in the US than firearm homicides?

Not trying to start an argument, but this particular statistic is misleading.

Overall suicide rate in the U.S. is lower than:
Finland,
Sweden
Norway
Denmark
Canada
Japan
France
Belgium
and many others.

The only country I could find that had strict gun laws and a lower suicide rate than the U.S. is UK.

Source WHO

ThomD

Explorer
Not trying to start an argument, but this particular statistic is misleading.

The point of my post is taking care of ourselves, not to focus on guns. 33,000 suicides per year in the US (source CDC). That's the 11th leading cause of death and mostly preventable.

If anyone wants to talk about guns in particular, go find another thread.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
I agree with what you're trying to get at 100%! I have so many friends who save for retirement, sock away as much money as they can and work their butts off so they think they will be happy when they finally call it quits.

I try and talk sense into their heads telling them that they're way overweight, way over worked, their stress levels are through the roof and most of them wont make it to retirement at this rate.

If they do, they'll be so unhealthy, that they wont be able to enjoy it in the least.

I think many Americans think once they retire they'll start getting in shape, taking better care of themselves and doing what they were supposed to be doing all along. By that point, the damage has been done.

Like I said, I agree 100% and think more should look in the mirror and take action now. I had one buddy who spent thousands to lighten his mountain bike thinking it would make him faster and he'd be able to keep up with me. He was about 30lbs overweight.

I told him he would save thousands to lose that 30lbs and not worry so much about the weight of his bike. Stop smoking, stop eating so much junk food and stop drinking a 12 pack each night, it'll do wonders for your health!

02TahoeMD

Explorer
In my early 20's I knew of two people who defied these rules, good and bad. The husband of my mom's best friend was a marathon runner, running 6 days a week, usually 14 or more miles a day.

He dropped dead of a massive heart attack at 52 while on the return leg of his daily run.

My first employer was a widow who owned a sizable farm. She smoked like an absolute chimney and I suspect enjoyed her liquor cabinet. She died at 94.

Eat healthy, stay fit, die anyway. (pardon the cynicism....I am a glass half empty and leaking type of guy)

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
-I don't smoke
-I drink very little (a beer every two weeks or so)
-I eat soy products exclusively due to allergies and therefore had very low cholesterol when I was tested about three months ago.
-I walk on my breaks here at work
-I try to be active and play roughly with my kids at least 3 or 4 times
a week.

I am overweight though, by about 50-60lbs, I'd say. When an athlete in high school swimming 6000 yards a day, i was about 220lbs. I'm 275-280 right now.

When I go to the doctor, I'm usually on the high side when it comes to blood pressure. I'm sure its directly related to the weight,and have been told as much by my doctor.

(I'm honestly afraid that this /\ is going to kill me, eventually...I've never said that out loud...)

I simply have a hard time shedding the weight. I don't feel like I eat a lot, but its obviously enough to sustain my weight. I've even added Wii Fit to my exercise routine, but I certainly could be more consistant with it.

So, I'd say I'm pretty good overall, but the weight just needs to go.

Any input?

Last edited:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Specifically what would you say is a good goal weight to be at, at say Christmas?

What do you advise for someone who eats when stressed, or simply
doesn't have that "off" switch when they're full.

I feel like sometimes I really try to set standards and goals, but they
just fall by the wayside...

BlueBomber

Adventurer
WOW, im going to die....soon. I smoke, drink, and dont work out (im 5'5" and 170). yeah im gonna die soon. But the good news is males in my family rarely live past 55.

bugnout

Adventurer
The point of my post is taking care of ourselves, not to focus on guns. 33,000 suicides per year in the US (source CDC). That's the 11th leading cause of death and mostly preventable.

If anyone wants to talk about guns in particular, go find another thread.

I agree with your premise. Living a long life means eliminating health risks. I also understand that suicide is a mental health issue and a leading cause of death in this country and others. Eliminating mental health issues that could lead to suicide is a complex issue.

You brought up firearms as related to suicide, and the underlying connotation of your statement is that somehow we could reduce suicides by reducing firearms. I was just pointing out that the choice of method for suicide has nothing to do with the mental health issue. Suicide exists in all countries and its cause is no way related to firearms.

Having a support network and actively seeking mental health treatment are two methods for preventing suicide. What other methods do you know of?

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
WOW, im going to die....soon. I smoke, drink, and dont work out (im 5'5" and 170). yeah im gonna die soon. But the good news is males in my family rarely live past 55.

You know, I've been in several car accidents and a plane crash, dude, and honestly, I feel like if God wanted me gone...I'd be gone. haha!

Makes me a lot less afraid of dying, but also shows me the fragility of
things, and gives me motivation to live the best I can.

Those things you mentioned are all choices and they're your choices to
make. If its what you want, then thats fine, but you'd be surprised what events may cause you to "click" and choose to live more healthily(sp?)

I basically stopped drinking when my wife was pregnant with my first, for one reason only. I, personally, needed to be able to take her the hospital safely and soberly at any hour. This choice stuck for nine months, and bang, there you go...Brian's not a drinker anymore. That was in 2005.

It wasn't a big booming God thing, it was just a "click" that happened.

cool.

alosix

Expedition Leader

I work out (the dogs needs the exercise, though I used to be a pretty avid cyclist/runner). But my grandfather died of melanoma before 50, my father did @ 47, I had a stage 0-1 (very close) melanoma removed from my back in my 20s.

I'm also a pretty bad asthmatic sometimes and really believe I'll be lucky to hit 60. I'll be happy if I outlive my dad @ 47.

Retiring and growing old somewhere really haven't been on my mind (well, given the economy I really doubt I'd be able to retire anyway). I'm normally just happy to get through the day.

ExpoMike

I agree that no matter what you do, everyone is going to die someday. I know of people and stories about healthy, athletic people dropping dead before 50 and people like George Burns who drank and smoked and lived into his late 90's. My dad, who had a heart attack 6 or so years ago and had a quintuple bypass is doing great today. About a year ago he started working for a company that does DNA and Genome research and build the machines to test them. He found out working with many scientific doctors and researchers, that genetics play the biggest role in your overall long being. Other factors play more into the quality of your life.

I don't think everyone should go out and live for today but I do think you should try to make each day count and live it as happily as you can. Treat other with respect and tell those you love, how much you do, as often as you can. You never know when you will no longer be in this world.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I agree that no matter what you do, everyone is going to die someday. I know of people and stories about healthy, athletic people dropping dead before 50 and people like George Burns who drank and smoked and lived into his late 90's. My dad, who had a heart attack 6 or so years ago and had a quintuple bypass is doing great today. About a year ago he started working for a company that does DNA and Genome research and build the machines to test them. He found out working with many scientific doctors and researchers, that genetics play the biggest role in your overall long being. Other factors play more into the quality of your life.

I don't think everyone should go out and live for today but I do think you should try to make each day count and live it as happily as you can. Treat other with respect and tell those you love, how much you do, as often as you can. You never know when you will no longer be in this world.

Mike...I love you, man.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
My dad's dad died at 50 years old of a heart attack chopping wood.

My dad died at 53 years old of a heart attack mtn biking.

I have high blood pressure and will most likely die from a heart attack around the same age.

Anyone have a lead on heart transplants?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles