How many miles is too many LR4

MrWiggles

I am looking at purchasing a stock 2012 LR4 HSE LUX HD with 130k miles on it for $15k. Would you make that purchase,or would you do the same vehicle in the 60k range for $10k more?

If this were a land cruiser, I’d buy it without hesitation. But the truth is, I don’t have the best grasp on the LR4 life cycle. How long can I expect a well maintained LR4 to go without major problems? Any usual suspects I’d need to replace (e.g. suspension) before taking it on a trail?

LKLK

Oh man, this is a tough question and has really more to do with the service history of the vehicle. Within my own personal experiences, I had my LR3 since buying it from the dealer. Check the service history, and ask what has been done on the vehicle. 130k is not bad if the car has been well maintained. I have 115k on mine but did a lot of maintenance myself. Typical failures, alternator, ac compressor, battery, air compressor, shocks, brake light sensor, air valve blocks just to name a few. A-arms and rack and pinion stuff i consider to be wear and tear like brakes with suvs this heavy. There is your negotiating fuel... keep us posted.

LR Max

Local Oaf
If its been serviced and it is rust-free and is in good shape, I'd buy that in a heartbeat. Oh and pass 3rd party pre-purchase inspection.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Check with the dealer where it was serviced. Take in the vin and they can give you a complete history including what is next on the service schedule. In the event there is something major coming up, use that in your negotiations for price. I did not do that and so I recommend it as a course of action. Could have saved me serious $$$ as the PO did not disclose a serious problem that could not be detected on inspection by a third party.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Careful, Dealers are not keen on giving out that information. That said, ask if the XXXXX service has been done. If the compressor and A arms have been replaced. If the battery, tires, brakes, etc. They can give you insight into that, but won't provide you with a print-out history. Which is BS but whatever. Just gotta sit there and ask 60 questions. Also you have to ask the dealer that did the work. Another dealer won't pull up the info.

Or at least that has been my experience.

userg

Careful, Dealers are not keen on giving out that information. That said, ask if the XXXXX service has been done. If the compressor and A arms have been replaced. If the battery, tires, brakes, etc. They can give you insight into that, but won't provide you with a print-out history. Which is BS but whatever. Just gotta sit there and ask 60 questions. Also you have to ask the dealer that did the work. Another dealer won't pull up the info.

Or at least that has been my experience.

Yep, this was my exp. I almost picked up an LR3 last year and the dealer who had been servicing it would not give me squat. It took the guy selling (individual seller) to call the dealer and ask them to talk to me but even then the dealer wouldn't do anything but answer pointed questions when talking to me. Kept saying "if you buy it, you can come in and we can talk about it"...

I dropped the whole idea after getting annoyed and really busy at work... but like any bad habit I'm now looking at LR3s (and some LR4s) again.

I'll stop ranting and answer your question - I'd go with the "2012 LR4 HSE LUX HD with 130k miles on it for $15k" but only because I like to mod/change stuff and don't feel as bad about yanking out a perfectly good part if it has alot of miles already on it.

DETOUR-GP

Rockstar
That’s super cheap for an LR4... I can’t help but wonder why?¿

In South Africa they would start at about R300k / $22k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgot to add, the bracket is also a custom made bracket for an Icom ID-5100 radio

That’s super cheap for an LR4... I can’t help but wonder why?¿

In South Africa they would start at about R300k / $22k

Agreed! If I found an LR4 for $15k, my spidey senses would be punching me in the face and kicking me in the n*ts! Could be the deal of a lifetime, but, I would have to question that price through and through!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles