How many miles are too many to build?

ridelbz15

Observer
I’m stuck right in between.
The truck in question is our 2009 Tacoma DCLB. We purchased it used in 2013 with 135k miles on the meter.
We slowly did some OME suspension sliders skids and front bumper aiming for an overlander type build.
We have taken it on road trips with some dirt roads in between, Mohave road and Death Valley. Never had any issues with the truck. Last year we paid it off and I would like to really get the build going but, with approaching 200k miles I’m wondering if it has enough life left to become the weekend overlander we want. It is no longer a daily driver and just an extra vehicle. Or should we sell and build the 2016 4Runner that is a daily driver and has payments. Looking for some opinions.
DBEABB82-79A8-4354-86DA-44CE61C7FF52.jpeg

Elbee

Adventurer
200k is maybe the halfway mark on these trucks. I wouldn't hesitate. I took my 2000 4runner on roadtrio around the states and out 12k miles on her when she had similar milage to yours. I still use it as a daily driver.

just do the typical things to ensure reliably. check up on fuel system, ignition system, and alternator/battery and all is good. Replaces bushing and susepnesion and do a periodic check up on wheel bearings and such.

it's paid off. enjoy it. just keep up with it.

RoyJ

Adventurer
I feel being a Toyota, that's not too many miles at all. With proper care, you can probably enjoy another 100k miles of adventures.

It depends on the goal of your build - if you're building it for yourself, your own enjoyment, then go for it. But if you're building it as a show truck expecting it to retain a lot of resale value, then it may be better to do it on a newer truck.

I've seen people go over-board and invest $30k on an old truck, or one with questionable value (rebuilt / salvage title). That to me is not wise, unless one has too much money laying around. If I'm doing a $30k built, it better be a low mileage 5th gen 4R or 200 series. But I won't think twice about spending a few thousand $ wisely on a truck like yours, and having it provide years of reliable service.

Stomper4x4

That truck is just getting broken in haha. But really, I have a 92 4Runner with over 300,000 miles on it. We just did a 4 state trip, over 2300 miles, a few hundred of that offroad, and didn't worry about it. The 4runner was flawless.

Value in an older rig is entirely in what it means to you, being your own creation, and having the peace of mind that you have done all the maintenance on it and know the history of the vehicle. That has far more value than what someone else's perception is. Newer cars can fail, older cars can fail. I'd take the one that was taken care of properly any day than a low mile car that wasn't taken care of. And that's more and more a problem, since we live in a society that tends to just get rid of things rather than maintain and keep things.

Keep building it and enjoy it.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Keep the 2016 Runner nice and the payments that go with it.

Go buy a another low mileage truck to replace that "Miled" out Tacoma!

Start making payments all over again on the Tacoma replacement.

Delay Expo build as funds are now tight with two truck payments.

Wait till once again your new to you truck has 200K miles, is paid off and then again once decide if that's too many miles to build into your dream expo vehicle.

Same decision as last time.

Go buy another used low mileage truck!

Start making payments all over again.

And On and On and On!

All the while NEVER getting that Expo Vehicle you really want or getting going places to you want to see.

Build the Tacoma you have NOW!

TernOverland

Supporting Sponsor Ternoverland.com
Build the 2009. It's a better truck for the purpose, and you know it well. Drive other vehicles to save the miles from building up higher. My 07 is half way home at 170,000.

JLee

Adventurer
My GX is closing in on 197k.

fvXvalO.png

Build it! :)

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
My truck is an F150 and I'm about to hit 250k.

I don't go out that much because I have an electronic 4x4 shifter that constantly fails and its about $800 to fix it correctly. When I fix it it shorts out and fails so I have stopped replacing it. I still use my truck to camp out of but I'm talking like state parks with a paved road and some dirt squares to park in. I rarely go anywhere I might need 4x4.

If I had a trust worthy and working 4x shifter I'd be out all the time, even at 250k.

Clutch

<---Pass
My truck is an F150 and I'm about to hit 250k.

I don't go out that much because I have an electronic 4x4 shifter that constantly fails and its about $800 to fix it correctly. When I fix it it shorts out and fails so I have stopped replacing it. I still use my truck to camp out of but I'm talking like state parks with a paved road and some dirt squares to park in. I rarely go anywhere I might need 4x4.

If I had a trust worthy and working 4x shifter I'd be out all the time, even at 250k.

Can you get a manual T-Case for it?

Nikkshepherd

Observer
Traveled in my 97 4runner for a month across the United States and back. When I left, it had just north of 200,000 on the odometer, and I wouldnt hesitate to do it again. Alternator went out, but that was a quick fix!

The current ride, my 94 pickup, has 225,000 and again, would not hesitate for a second to hit the road with it.

IMG_0656.JPG

Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
There are plenty of trucks here pushing higher miles. If you are worried about it keep some extra cash aside for maintance. Plus if you aren't dding it you have a lot more time left before it needs replaced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles