How many hours, will this specific battery charge this specific fridge?

Joe98

There is a Companion brand battery that is 70Ah.

There is a Companion brand fridge that uses 1Ah/h

Does that mean the battery will power the fridge for (about) 70 hours?

john61ct

Adventurer
First off, you need to charge the battery

the fridge then is powered by, draws power from the fridge.

Calculations cannot be made from vendor ratings.

You need to measure the actual Ah per 24hr draw,

and that will vary greatly depending on the ambient temperature vs the thermostat temp setting

after the contents have already reached target temperature, in the first 24-48 hours after loading consumption will be 3x or 5x higher.

Also how often the door is opened, how well the hotspots are ventilated will make a big difference.

john61ct

Adventurer
I would not reco that battery, crazy pricey, not long lived and fire-risky chemistry.

LFP would be much better.

Or, at a tenth the price

Duracell (actually Deka/East Penn) FLA deep cycle golf cart batteries, 2x6V, around $200 per 200+AH @12V pair from BatteriesPlus or Sam's Club.

NAPA relabels it here: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBP8144 Deka self-labeled also sold at Lowes.

john61ct

Adventurer
Assuming the fridge consumed 30Ah per 24hrs

which might only be true using it as a drinks fridge in hot weather

A 70Ah lithium bat, whether LFP or NMC, would power it well under 2 days assuming you treated it well to get a decent lifespan.

The $200 lead bank at triple the capacity would go well over 3 days, assuming you did not go below 40-50% SoC.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
That's like asking "how long is a piece of string?" Many, many, many variables.

We normally set our fridge to 32f/0c. On our fridge, the temp sensor is at the bottom of the fridge (i.e. the coldest part.) So setting it to 32 means that the top of the fridge will likely stay under 40. If it's a very hot day we might set the fridge to 30 (-1c) or even 28 (-2c.) We have never had a problem with anything freezing when set like that, as I said, that temp only exists at the very bottom of the fridge and the higher up you go, the warmer it gets.

I've never measured our power draw but my Group 27 90ah FLA (wet) battery works well. If we are driving a lot it's charged up by a Renogy 20a DC-DC charger and when parked for a long time I will often hook a 100W solar panel to it to keep it charged up. My whole setup probably cost around $450 and maybe half a day's worth of work.

It's a heavy sumbitch (probably 85lbs/40kg) but I only move it from the garage to the truck at the beginning of a camping trip and then back to the garage at the end so that's not an issue for me.

Unlike a lot of the folks here I'm not particularly skilled when it comes to electrical things, but it didn't really take more than the ability to use simple hand tools, a crimper and a heat gun (for shrink tubing) to put my system together.

Joe98

Joe98, what are your expectations?

The fridge specs assume that I have set a specific temp and the specs assume the ambient temp. Given those things were true I expect:

We know the specs of a specific fridge..........
We know the specs of a specific battery.......

We should be able to calculate how long the battery can charge the fridge before the battery runs out.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
When you figure out how long that is, please share.
As others have mentioned, too many variables.
Will you be using this fridge like a regular fridge, opening
closing the door several times a day? How you gonna calculate that?

john61ct

Adventurer
We should be able to calculate how long the battery can charge the fridge before the battery runs out.

"should" is an overloaded term

yes in a moral sense, in an ideal world...

However in reality, the factors I mentioned prevent that, other than the ballpark guesstimation process I outlined.

Plus you simply cannot take vendor ratings at face value

It is normal in this market for a lithium battery labeled 70Ah to actually only deliver say 50Ah in real life conditions. This can be true with sellers that are considered top notch and honest, 90% of the rest have far worse outright scammer practices.

A smart customer buys through a top-notch credit card with excellent purchase protection, maybe PayPal as well

and has the gear and knowledge to do an objective Ah capacity measurement on delivery

so they can quickly send it back if that is the case.

Joe98

.......too many variables.
Will you be using this fridge like a regular fridge, opening and closing the door several times a day?

No. We only camp in cool weather as we both dislike camping in warm weather. The ambient temp will be 12c to 18c in the day time and 2c to 8c at night.
The fridge will be opened at breakfast for milk and at dinner for the meat.

4000lbsOfGoat

I'll have to agree with everyone else here - there are too many variables to say how it will perform in the real world. I have been camped in the same spot for a week now. Same amount of sun every day (full sun). I run pretty much all the same devices every day - fridge, charge 2 laptops, charge 2 phones.

Two days in the last week I was unable to have my awning out due to high winds. When the awning is not out, the fridge compartment sits in the sun from sun-up until about 3pm. On the days that the awning was not out we used nearly twice as much energy as we have on the days the awning is out. All of that variation is from the fridge. When it's warmer, it runs more - a lot more. Just that one variable nearly doubles the energy use of the fridge.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
The real number to read is the Wh rating, in this case they publish it at 850. But wait, there's more. Life expectancy at 80% discharge is 800 cycles, which for Lithium is a bit weak. Little better than lead acid, but most of the Lithium Iron batteries are rated in the thousands of cycles. And that 80% of 850 is 680 Wh of usable power. Another issue I see is you state you camp in 2-8° nights. Looks like the battery has a very narrow temperature band of 10-40°. Lithium Iron has temperature limitations as well but let you run down to 0° without issue and most will allow discharging down even lower with only charging being limited to above 0°C. I don't see that battery being a good choice. Very high price for very little energy with very limited usable temperature limits and a pretty short life.

So lets go to the fridge. I see 2 conflicting numbers in the specs. One states 45 watts, the other is 5.0 Amps at 12V, which is 60 watts. As others have stated the power consumption of the fridge is a HUGE variable. Think of it more as a home A/C than a fridge for a moment. When it is fairly cool outside you don't need to run the A/C much at all. When it is really hot outside, you run it a lot. The amount of time on vs. off is the duty cycle. On a cold day and there is no A/C run, 0% duty cycle. But a really hot day, people in and out all the time, A/C never turns off, that is 100% duty cycle. The A/C takes about the same amount of power while running (not really, but close enough). The portable fridge is the same way. On a hot day, it runs a lot. On a cold night, runs a little. Fill it full of warm food and ask it to cool it off, it will use a lot of power. Lets take worst case (not what you describe, but a starting point). 680 Wh and the full duty cycle is 60 watt of power. 680/60 = 11.3 hours.
OK, published 45W power consumption, I assume this accounts for the duty cycling. Under what conditions, they never say. But you want answers provided with the limited specs you offer, this is what you get. 680/45 = 15.1 hours of run time. Not very impressive is it?
Taking guesses, because that is all we can do given the lack of data, mixed in with what you did provide for usage plans and temperatures, you might get 24 hours on that battery. Maybe. That is a SWAG with what I have seen in the past and what you provided. A little sunshine mixed in, inside a closed car during the day, it will go down to the 11 hour mark really fast. Fridge kept in the shade, good ventilation, kept in cool ambient temps, back toward the 24 hour mark.

The power consumption for the fridge looks fairly typical. It is the battery pack that is undersized. If you added a good solar system to compliment the battery it could work. But it is still a very over priced battery for the performance. And shy of sleeping with it you will be hard pressed to keep it in a happy temperature zone.

john61ct

Adventurer
Life expectancy at 80% discharge is 800 cycles, which for Lithium is a bit weak.
Only for LFP, a fraction of what is possible with proper care.

For li-ion like this powerpack, likely a gross overestimate, especially since a noob will not coddle properly

maybe even allow the BMS to set voltage limits.

At 800 cycles or even 300, SoH might be at 50% and risk of thermal runaway quite high (boom bad)

Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
Ah per day really is a better unit of measure.

The thirstiest I've seen is 80Ah, rock hard ice cream in Arizona summer conditions.

The stingiest so far, 12-14Ah but that was drinks fridge only in cool weather.

At 12Vnom of course.

Trying to wrap my head around your mWh numbers...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier