how many grams of insulation

Stretch79

Observer
Can someone explain this to me? I see insulated waterproof boots with 200g 400g and 800g. If I was going to be spending some time in say the ozark mountains in winter what would be a good amount of grams to go with? I live in Texas where its always HOT so I have no experience with proper insulation. All I know is I can't stand cold feet. I already have Goretex fishing jacket/bibs and with layers underneath these things keep me warm on the lake in 25 degree weather so all I'm lacking is the boots.

Last edited:

GFA

Adventurer
What's your main use for them and how often? Hiking, normal daily use, cold weather fishing? Because you mentioned fishing in the cold I can offer my opinion as I do the same this time of year fishing for grouper offshore. Wet, slippery decks when it's in the 30's can be brutal in anything other than rubber and neoprene boots. The Muck chore boot is awesome in those kind of conditions from about 0° up to about 70°. They do not have any real insulation to speak of but are sized a bit large to allow for good wool socks. The neoprene is pretty warm on its own to about 35° or so also. Even though they are rubber they somehow breathe, I guess by wicking up the liner. They are also great for tromping around in the mud or snow but I'd never attempt hiking in them even though they're comfy, they're a bit heavy for that.

The Original MuckBoots Adult Chore Hi-Cut Boot https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WG45JO/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_lv4Kub0WF8RJS

Hope it helps

rayra

Expedition Leader
The number values are gram weight per square yard of Thinsulate material. Think of it like R values for fiberglass insulation.
How much insulation to get sort of depends on your level of activity. Hiking / walking you'll need less.
waterproofness matters as much as insulation value, particularly for boots you'll be tromping around with in deep snow, wet woods, marshes etc. Look at boot listing at Cabelas or Basspro to get a feel for what's available or desirable.
If you'll be sitting on your butt ice-fishing, something like a Sorel boot works quite well. Toasty warm, and water resistent enough.
Be sure to buy such boots a little loose, keeping your feet warm is like layering your clothing. You'll want / need room for insulating socks, thick wool socks, double pairs of socks, and worst case, these under your feet -

90b6db33c87b7f9e63e9f2b6ab0b2054.jpg

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
What's your main use for them and how often? Hiking, normal daily use, cold weather fishing? Because you mentioned fishing in the cold I can offer my opinion as I do the same this time of year fishing for grouper offshore. Wet, slippery decks when it's in the 30's can be brutal in anything other than rubber and neoprene boots. The Muck chore boot is awesome in those kind of conditions from about 0° up to about 70°. They do not have any real insulation to speak of but are sized a bit large to allow for good wool socks. The neoprene is pretty warm on its own to about 35° or so also. Even though they are rubber they somehow breathe, I guess by wicking up the liner. They are also great for tromping around in the mud or snow but I'd never attempt hiking in them even though they're comfy, they're a bit heavy for that
The Original MuckBoots Adult Chore Hi-Cut Boot https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WG45JO/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_lv4Kub0WF8RJS

Hope it helps

I bought the old more minimal soled Muck boots 15 years ago in Arkansas for duck hunting and four wheeling in the mud. Next I used them for five winter seasons racing on a J-80 sailboat. That's a drenching wet and cold sport. I brought them to Colorado for 5 years and found out they were considerd the ultimate snow boot. They stick like glue on ice and being so tall, no snow gets in. Last weekend it froze out at the sand dunes by Death Valley. Once again I found the perfect boot. This time to play in the powdery sliding sand at Dumont dunes while keeping my feet warm and wool socks free of sand. They are flexible enough to drive the 4 speed rail and pull right off without a fight due to the wet suit type neoprene sides. If your on this forum then you need a pair of Muck boots. When most won't get out in the slop you will look foward too it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles