how many 6.7 cummin 2013- owner got emission related problems?

gtitonta

As the title said, I am thinking about buying 2013- ram3500 cummin. I am kind of curious of how many the cummin owner got emission related issues?
Major cummin forum basically said not many emission related problems, but NHTSA complains show that many many owner complain about emission related problems. some of them like within 20K miles so on.

I appreciate if you tell me what you got. thanks

ttengineer

Adventurer
I have a 2014 3500 with 90k miles. I have not had any issues. I rarely tow though.

I do have a Nox sensor that keeps dinging the check engine light though. I just reset it with my scanner and it stays off for a few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
My last job in the oilfields we had two '13 5500 service trucks that seemed to have nothing but emission problems. Of course they mainly stayed on the well site and idled 24 hours a day for weeks at a time. When we actually had two on one job so each shift mechanic was driving it back and forth from the hotel the issues were a lot less.

gtitonta

I have a 2014 3500 with 90k miles. I have not had any issues. I rarely tow though.

I do have a Nox sensor that keeps dinging the check engine light though. I just reset it with my scanner and it stays off for a few months.

My last job in the oilfields we had two '13 5500 service trucks that seemed to have nothing but emission problems. Of course they mainly stayed on the well site and idled 24 hours a day for weeks at a time. When we actually had two on one job so each shift mechanic was driving it back and forth from the hotel the issues were a lot less.

I know that delete DPF and EGR is the best way to avoid emission problem, I can not delete those. So should I get pre-emission?? what is your recommendation?

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
What are you planning on using it for? Towing/hauling heavy loads 80% of the time on long trips then get the diesel. Otherwise go gas.

ZMagic97

Explorer

Is there a recall or TSB for it? I know someone with a Journey that has theirs in for a recall on the sensors as well...like a 2015 if I remember correctly.

I know it's a Journey and not a Ram, but I imagine the sensors are all of the same "batch."

gtitonta

What are you planning on using it for? Towing/hauling heavy loads 80% of the time on long trips then get the diesel. Otherwise go gas.

I am planning to use my truck as work truck so i am going to load heavy tools. I was considering gas truck, but I hate feeling of gas truck because I can feel that truck is so heavy and lose acceleration when I load the heavy stuffs in gas truck.

PaxG56

I'm far from an expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn.

I believe there were changes to the emissions systems and the 2014+ Rams are less likely to have emissions related problems. I'm not a mechanic, just an owner of a fully stock engine 2017 Ram 2500 Diesel with 57k miles and no problems to date.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I am planning to use my truck as work truck so i am going to load heavy tools. I was considering gas truck, but I hate feeling of gas truck because I can feel that truck is so heavy and lose acceleration when I load the heavy stuffs in gas truck.
How many tools? It would take thousands of pounds of them to make a new gas motor sluggish.

Explorerinil

Observer
I had 2 cummins trucks with def, never had a single problem. I made short trips, towed, hauled and idled allot. Cummins is the most refined, most reliable diesel available from the big three.

danneskjold

A friend with a 2019 Dodge 3500 had the DEF system completely fail at roughly 30,000 miles.

She bought it at 29k, so probably bought a lemon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles