How long before we see a Earthromer for $150K?

Gunny 0369

Hello Adventure trucks!

I LOVE the fit and finish of the high end units, but I question the offroad capability of the 4X4 units. I saw the Earth Roamer at the EXPO East 2018 get stuck in the muddy field.
My trucks can, and did, drive all over the area, with no problems...

Steve_382

Back to the OP topic, I found a copy of the Earth Roamer brochure from 2004. Check out the list prices. Seems like they have easily exceeded the cost of living changes.

Pricing
EarthRoamer modifications run approximately $108,000 for a fully equipped XV-LT model and
$103,000 for an XV-LS model. The total price of an XV-LT including a new Ford F-450, 6.0 diesel,
4x4 Lariat, SuperCab truck is approximately $150,000. The total price of an XV-LS including the
truck is approximately $145,000. Crew Cab models run approximately $1,000 more and F-550s
run approximately $3,000 more. We will assist in your purchase of either a SuperCab or Crew
Cab F-450 or F-550 from a dealer to ensure all the necessary options for completion of an XV-LT
or XV-LS are ordered. Prices listed above are an estimate based upon EarthRoamers minimum
truck specifications and is subject to change. Please contact us directly for a quote.

zb39

Adventurer
I was directly behind the ER at expo east. When he stopped I just went around him and kept going.

zimm

Expedition Leader
I love the coment that 100,000 miles is nothing .....:LOL: These things have transmissions differentials , transfer cases and brakes. All wear the same as any other vehicle. 100,000 miles can be the end of an un maintained rig. Weather the engine runs well or not.

Zoiks, what pos are you driving? Brakes are consumable like tires, and you can change those yourself. Outside of that, what company has t cases and diffs that fail before 100000 without major service? And even if they did, how would a 5000/10000 dollar repair lead to scrapping a 150000 dollar used rig? You find a 100000 mile ER headed to the heap for scrap money due to maintenance neglect, let me know ASAP. I think land yachts are awful solutions, but for the cost of drivetrain work on a ubiquitous f550, I’m friggin on it!

boxcar1

boxcar1
Zoiks, what pos are you driving? Brakes are consumable like tires, and you can change those yourself. Outside of that, what company has t cases and diffs that fail before 100000 without major service? And even if they did, how would a 5000/10000 dollar repair lead to scrapping a 150000 dollar used rig? You find a 100000 mile ER headed to the heap for scrap money due to maintenance neglect, let me know ASAP. I think land yachts are awful solutions, but for the cost of drivetrain work on a ubiquitous f550, I’m friggin on it!

FORD, Chevy , Dodge all have issues with transmission and transfer case retention on there heavy duties. Axels break welds fail . The word Earth Roamer doesn't change the fact that it's a camper adapted to someone else's rig.

zb39

Adventurer
My point is that my Ram 5500 with Host camper is only 125K new. And apparently it's better in the mud than the pricey ER. The real point is buy what works for you. My wife and I want a certain amount of space when we travel, and the Host is as small as we will go. We also want hot showers everyday and other comforts. If someone else want s something different, go for it. Cheers.
What’s your point?

zip

I prefer social distancing.
My point is that my Ram 5500 with Host camper is only 125K new. And apparently it's better in the mud than the pricey ER. The real point is buy what works for you. My wife and I want a certain amount of space when we travel, and the Host is as small as we will go. We also want hot showers everyday and other comforts. If someone else want s something different, go for it. Cheers.

I get the price part, But didn’t know what you meant when you said you just went around the ER. I’m guessing because it had some problems in the mud?

zb39

Adventurer
It did have problems in the mud, but to be fair a whole lot of people were having problems in the mud. Especially thursday, friday, and saturday. It was a real MUD FEST!!

Lots and Lots of stuck vehicles.

Grenadiers

Adventurer
The majority of the big rig vehicles I’ve come across in our Mexico travels were Europeans. Wealthy and physically fit. Getting in and out of these vehicles is not for old and out of shape Boomers! Not to generalize much, but the seats in our Saurer are six feet off the ground. And the RV parks consisted mainly of Canadians in older class A motor homes. They drive down and plant there butts in one spot for the winter. Same for a lot of older Rvers, they drive to a favorite spot and park. We had a beautiful 2004 Winnebago Vectra diesel pusher, and it only had 25000 miles on it; looked brand new. My point is that ER’s and other expedition vehicles are not that big of an industry for those reasons. We’re 60 and will be able to use our Saurer for maybe less than ten years. My wife has chronic back pain and bad knees.

AdventureTrucks

Hello Adventure trucks!

I LOVE the fit and finish of the high end units, but I question the offroad capability of the 4X4 units. I saw the Earth Roamer at the EXPO East 2018 get stuck in the muddy field.
My trucks can, and did, drive all over the area, with no problems...

Great Comment Gunny, At Adventure Trucks we have several different suspension upgrades and options available for customers specific off-road needs depending on their budget.

www.adventuretrucks.com

Gunny 0369

Great Comment Gunny, At Adventure Trucks we have several different suspension upgrades and options available for customers specific off-road needs depending on their budget.

www.adventuretrucks.com

What suspension upgrade would get the units out of the mud, in a flat field?
And, at the price points of the nicer units, Shouldn’t they be “ offroad ready”?

And again, i drove UP the hill from the lower camp ground, in low range, heavy lugged tires aired to 17 lbs, in mud that was 9-14 inches deep, with Zero problems.

Id like to see the nicer rigs do that.

Attachments

• 4FBDCA61-C2B1-4F9F-BDB4-9BD5092C9210.jpeg
    4FBDCA61-C2B1-4F9F-BDB4-9BD5092C9210.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 46

AdventureTrucks

What suspension upgrade would get the units out of the mud, in a flat field?
And, at the price points of the nicer units, Shouldn’t they be “ offroad ready”?

And again, i drove UP the hill from the lower camp ground, in low range, heavy lugged tires aired to 17 lbs, in mud that was 9-14 inches deep, with Zero problems.

Id like to see the nicer rigs do that.
I meant suspension and "drivetrain" upgrades. Again depends on the vehicle, customer requirements, and budget.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier