How light can a 8' FWC Camper get?

adrenaline503

Explorer
Hello,

I would really like to get a FWC for my Nissan Frontier that has a Ute bed installed. Sounds simple enough, except for the fact that I HAVE to buy used due to budget. My budget is probally only 2k. In the PNW that puts me in the 8' models made for older full size domestic trucks. Luckily the flatbed provides me some flexability in model dimensions, but weight becomes the issue since there would be 16-18" overhang off the back. I know thats not ideal and if I could find a 7' model I'd be thrilled. Does anyone know how much a gutted 8' FWC weighs? I like to travel simple and light, just want some hardsides and a real bed. I imagine that pulling out the cabinets, fridge and stove would drop the weight quite a bit. Any info would be suggested.

Another thought, how hard is it to section out a piece of the camper?

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
If you have the short bed truck, or short bed flat bed, you might want to look for an older, used Hawk Model.

The Hawk Model is only 80" long.

Check out the usedfourwheelcampers.com website.

There is a nice restored 80' model Hawk for sale for only $ 2500.00.

Sounds like the guy spent that in upgrades alone. Might be worth a look.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

older hawk camper for sale (Nor Cal)
I have an early 80's hawk camper for sale.
I recently had the factory install new soft sides, door frame, door and screen door , and folding end panels at a cost of more than $2,500.

camper has furnace, water tank, sink, pump, lights. Upholstery in very good condition. Comes with pair of cable jacks, Camper has ice box , no fridge.

$2,500 firm.

adrenaline503

Explorer
Sweet, thanks for the find. I was hoping to spread the cost out over time but it is probally better to just save up and buy it once.

pods8

Explorer
As mentioned by stan, I'd probably look for an older hawk priced cheaply (esp. ones for the 64" tailgate openings since the resale is less on those due to fit issues). With your flatbed I'd then seriously consider cutting out and adding onto the sides of the floor pack to fill out the flatbed. LOTS of floorspace then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior