How is your van altered for offroading?

How is your van altered?

• Total voters

Photobug

I'd like to do an informal survey on how many people are driving vans or campers for backcountry use and how they are altered nd equipped for off-road travel.

Second part is being a less capable vehicle compared to some on this forum, even if they are FWD vans will be heavy and have a higher COG, how do you asses routes ahead of time to keep from getting beyond the vehicles capabilities?

Photobug

I'll start
My van is a stock 2wd RV. It is 22 feet long and likely 11000 lbs or more loaded. The only advantage is dually rear tires.

I will be adding max tracks, compressor, tire repair kit, and shovel and extensive tool kit with limited knowledge of how to repair undercarriage if something were to go wrong.

My plan for navigation at least on my upcoming trip is to only venture onto recommended routes.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Not sure I agree with some of the assumptions built in here - both to the survey and your stated question.

For example, there's almost no way I can respond to your survey that's accurate. Which combination of boxes should I select to indicate lift, A/T tires and factory AWD? In my case I've swapped factory AWD to 4WD, but I'm pretty sure that's not in the way you've implied with the survey - the stock front diff, axles, and suspension are unaffected.

I also question the assumption "even if they are FWD vans will be heavy and have a higher COG". My van has a GVWR about the same as a modern Colorado or Ranger (or a GMT800 1500 Silverado "contemporary" to when my van was built, before everything got huge). Converting from AWD to 4WD was weight neutral since no new parts were added, only swapped. To the point of COG, my load floor is well below the bed-height of the pickup, so the only stuff "up high" to raise the COG are two more pieces of glass vs. a crew-cab truck and a little steel for the roof. As someone who has cut a big chunk out of that roof, I can attest that stuff is THIN. I

I will admit, my COG is certainly higher than the average Astro van since I've got the GTRV pop-top up there, but I'd certainly compare my van's COG to a mildly lifted truck with a fiberglass topper.

That said, and getting back to your original question - with the sparse changes I've made to my van, it's pretty close to a "stock" 4WD pick-up from the early 2000s, except that I have a bigger enclosed space with seating and sleeping capacity for four people. To mimic your info:

2003 Chevrolet Astro Van with GTRV Pop-Top
6100lbs loaded with a family of three
Factory AWD converted to 4WD by swapping transfer case from S-10 Blazer
Re-geared axles and 4" lift to facilitate taller A/T Tires
16' long, 7'8" at the highest point (I'd have to remove the roof basket to fit into a standard 20' shipping container), nominal roof height ~7' (GTRV stands for Garageable-Top RV, after all)

I pick my routes based on that criteria. Without a winch or lockers, I'm not going to be rock-crawling with the buggies, but so far I've yet to meet a forest service road or desert wash that can stop us. I've deployed my TRED mats in silty sand once or twice, but usually nothing more than a shovel is needed. I have stacked rocks to smooth out a big step on a couple of occasions.

Photobug

Not sure I agree with some of the assumptions built in here - both to the survey and your stated question.

The survey was an afterthought, not sure why I even did it. When I say a Van is less capable I am comparing it to a Tacoma or Jeep or an optimized expedition truck or SUV, maybe a van is nimble compared to a Earth Rover or Fusso based vehicle.

My assumption is a with 4WD, the stance would reflect this extra capability. You were fortunate the AWD is an easy/cheap upgrade at least easier than a Quigley or the like. Thanks for your input.

dewray

Mine is 2wd, OX locker and AT tires. I air down for rough/soft roads. I have an ARB single compressor mounted inside the sliding door. With the locker, airing down, and a simple HF come-along I've gotten out of some tough spots. I'm thinking about a winch but I think more important is a solid front recovery point.
20200624_205730.jpg
This June I buried it in mud up to the dif, fully loaded. I could reach under the rear passenger tire. My buddy and I were able to make short work of getting it out.

Below is a video of me testing on the locker after installing it since I don't have an actual picture of the van stuck.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Ambulance, 4.10 w/ lsd, 6000 lbs over rear axle, & a class V hitch to tow a capable 4x4 ;)

Philips H4 XULED bulbs in Hella E code housings & CAN bus adapter to make them work with the DRL module.

Last edited:

jkam

nomadic man
24 foot Lazy Daze class C, suspension completely stock.
I carry a small dual sport motorcycle on the back.
Before I find a spot for the RV, I unload the bike and explore the area.
Keeps me from going places I have no business trying to get to.

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
21' Chinook Concourse built on 2WD 2001 Ford E-350 van with dual rear wheels and limited slip diff with 3.10 gears. 4.5" lift, 2" blocks in rear, 2010 radius arms, custom valved fox shocks and Fox steering stabilizer, Ujoint front bumper with 10k winch, Duratrac AT tires. I often drive 6 - 10 hours on highway and handles great.

1608680813097.png

Attachments

• 1608680813562.png
    1608680813562.png
    2 MB · Views: 23

Photobug

24 foot Lazy Daze class C, suspension completely stock.
I carry a small dual sport motorcycle on the back.
Before I find a spot for the RV, I unload the bike and explore the area.
Keeps me from going places I have no business trying to get to.

I really like the idea of a small motorcycle but at 22 feet anything attached will make my ride less parking friendly. Still tell me more about the motorcycle and how you carry it?

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
20191117_113313.jpg

Well my Transit is UNDER the factory GVW by 700lbs even built out like this....
Quadvan 4x4 conversion lets me go to any Ford dealer for warranty work.
33in tires, Eaton TruTrack lockers front and rear, the Ecoboost brings on the torque peak at 2600 RPM so this thing crawls well.
Aluminess front bumper with a Mile Marker winch in a cradle to go front or rear.
Oh and I will put it against many many other "overland" rigs as far as capability and way better in comfort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94