How is the idle controlled on a 2003+ (3.8L) Gen3 Monty?

Deshet

Adventurer
The MAF sensor on my Camry caused similar issues. The problem started at around 160,000 miles. The CRC MAF cleaner actually made the problem worse. I went through 3 Chinese MAF sensors (Dorman, eBay Fake Toyota branded sensor) before I got a Toyota OEM part that worked for more then a month. The problem on mine got so bad that the engine would not even start.

Unplugging the MAF created the same results as others have posted because the computer uses default values.

Good Luck

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
Is the MAF the same on 2.5 gen? I have the same problem on my 03 but my pick a part only has three 2.5 gens out there...

Swank is right about the Gen2.5 not being the same, but the '99-'04 Montero Sports with the 3.5L engines do use the same VAF sensor (part# MD336482). Your junkyard is bound to have a few Sports sitting around. Also I know that the Eclipse used this VAF as well, but I don't know the years and engine config's to point you to off the top of my head.

Jeff V.

Observer
haolepinoy said:
Also I know that the Eclipse used this VAF as well, but I don't know the years and engine config's to point you to off the top of my head.

It was the 03-05 Eclipse GTS. They had a variable intake similar to the 3.8L Montero.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
There's a single year Outlander as well. My yards didn't have any Sports or Eclipses, but there were easily a half dozen of this one particular year Outlander. Was weird.

Jeff V.

Observer
Are you sure it wasn't just someone who had replaced it with the wrong MAF? ASA says the -482 MAF is only good for Eclipse GTS, 3.5L Montero Sport, 3.5L Montero and 3.8L Montero. The only other car that had a MAF specified to such a high airflow was the Evo, and that was a slightly different part number (MR578399).

Swank Force One

Adventurer
One year Outlander cross references pretty much everywhere i found.

Backed up by the MAF having the same numbers on the oem sticker.

Jeff V.

Observer
Outlander (the non-MIVEC version) used MD336501. That cross references to the 3.0 Montero Sport and a few of the cars. The MIVEC version of the gen 1 Outlander, and all the gen 2 Outlanders, used the newer hot wire style MAF.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
2003 Outlander only. Each that i found in the junkyard had identical part numbers to what was on our 2003 Montero.

In fact, i think i have a MAF from one of them on our 2003 Montero right now, left over from diagnosis of an idle/stalling problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier