How important to "see" your radio faceplate?

prerunner1982

Adventurer
Not necessary to "see" them but they must be within arms reach.
I can make most any adjustments necessary without looking at any of my radios so having to see them isn't an issue.
However, I do prefer to be able to look at them if needed to see what channel, repeater, frequency I am on.

RobRed

Explorer
I went decisively more tactical :)

Many of the new radios, ID5100 comes to mind, can be had with magnetic mounts so even if you are in ugly mode for a trip it can be removed for day-to-day use. I'm sure you could easily create a Mag mount for any remote face unit.

file.php

davescott

Observer
I've got a Yaesu with removable face plate. Controls on top of dash with Velcro. Radio under passenger seat with a remote speaker mounted to sound bar in my Jeep JK. This way I can see frequency, hear the speaker and not lose any useable console space.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I ended up getting a Yeasu FTM 100 DR/DE and fitting the face under the SPOD but above the mirror. the factory bracket worked out nicely. the radio and a CB are under the drivers seat. the CB is simple enough to run by touch, and the radio controls are easy to see and reach.

the only drawbacks to this setup seem to be:

The Yeasu control wire needs about 6 more inches, routed along the rearview mirror wiring, across the top, down the a-pillar, and along the bottom of the door line. I'll probably make a little extension cord for it.

Both the CB and HAM mic cables could stand to be 18" longer. I'll probably extend them too.

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
I need the radio face out where I can see it. With my fat fingers on really harsh terrain I've been known to hit the channel change button more then once. I also need to adjust the volume depending on windows up or down, speed, trail noise etc. And since one of my trail buddy's is always racing ahead we often get out of range of each other so changing the power output is important not to mention it being rude to interfere with others on the freq. Things like these.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles