How important is GVWR?

RoyJ

Adventurer
The Power Wagon is a 3/4 ton Ram with soft springs for articulation. Period. It IS an HD Ram. The 2500 and 3500 Ram share the same axles, frame (except for the parts necessary to change from coils to leafs on the rear), and everything else except for the actual springs. This isn't up for debate. There's no links to be shown. The 3500s sit about an inch high than the 2500s due to the actual springs used. Everything else is identical.

Where did you get the idea that a Power Wagon is a 1/2 ton truck because that is patently wrong?

I don't think he was referring to the PW as 1/2 ton; he was saying I compared a LC (1/2 ton), to a PW (3/4 ton).

And yes, to echo what you just said - all domestic 3/4 ton and 1 ton share the same frame, and in most cases axles as well.

I feel a lot of 3/4 tons have artificially low GVWRs limited only by suspension.

RoyJ

Adventurer
Umm wow I never said it was a 1/2 ton truck . Calm your tits. So the truck isn’t “overbuilt” then. Sounds good

Easy...

No one is implying the LC is a bad / inadequately built truck. In fact, we all know it's a tank, with legendary reliability (hence why I owned one). And in some ways, certain components (rear axle) are indeed beefier than my Ram 1/2 ton.

Just that "overbuilt" gets thrown around too much. Figuratively, fine. But in the literal sense, it's not over-built, just built very well, with top notch components.

The PW is over-built in the literal sense, relatively to its GVWR. Doesn't make it better or worse than a LC. Totally different trucks.

Reactions: bkg

RoyJ

Adventurer
Just because a Hilux is rated at 1 ton in AUS doesn't mean it would be in the US. I recall reading somewhere on the forum JKs have a higher payload in Europe than in the US and the Forester is higher in AUS. I wonder if the 4runner or 200 is rated different outside of the US.

Is the rear axle on a Hilux rated higher? I know the article said they're physically the same.

A Taco's rear GAWR is 3110 lbs. The way a crew cab Hilux is proportioned, the entire payload would behind the rear axle. That would mean the empty rear axle weight is under 1100 lbs, which is impossible...

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Umm wow I never said it was a 1/2 ton truck . Calm your tits. So the truck isn’t “overbuilt” then. Sounds good

Easy...

No one is implying the LC is a bad / inadequately built truck. In fact, we all know it's a tank, with legendary reliability (hence why I owned one). And in some ways, certain components (rear axle) are indeed beefier than my Ram 1/2 ton.

Just that "overbuilt" gets thrown around too much. Figuratively, fine. But in the literal sense, it's not over-built, just built very well, with top notch components.

The PW is over-built in the literal sense, relatively to its GVWR. Doesn't make it better or worse than a LC. Totally different trucks.

Ha ok. If your little heart believes that. Go run with it. Whatever makes you feel happy. By the way you’re in a Toyota forum. Go into the ram forum start your own thread about the power wagon. I’ll take my unimog that trashes the power wagon in every way and drive my cruiser well into the sunset when the fca quality takes over your truck.

RoyJ

Adventurer
Ha ok. If your little heart believes that. Go run with it. Whatever makes you feel happy. By the way you’re in a Toyota forum. Go into the ram forum start your own thread about the power wagon. I’ll take my unimog that trashes the power wagon in every way and drive my cruiser well into the sunset when the fca quality takes over your truck.
emoji1303.png

You wearing your panties a bit tight...

Reactions: bkg

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
What's a "half ton", "3/4 ton"???

My 3/4 ton truck has a ton and a half payload capacity. Last I checked the PW is a 2500 with soft springs and a 1500-ish payload capacity. I'd like Ford to make a gas F250 with a similar setup. The Raptor comparisons would be shamefully hilarious though. For now, we build our own with BDS or Carli kits.

I also can't feel the need to make my truck too off road oriented, when there's a DRz400s or CR450x in the bed of the truck, to use off road instead.

bkg

Explorer

you're wound a wee bit too tight, dude. Nothing wrong with discussing other vehicles/comparing Toyota to other vehicles. Don't want to read the thread, don't read the thread... pretty simple. Let the discussion happen.

andrew61987

Observer
Is it technically okay to bring your Tacoma over GVWR? No. What's the problem? Well it's been discussed already, mainly suspension and brakes (legal issues notwithstanding).

My $0.02: Keep in mind that the vehicle is rated to tow a certain amount, without trailer brakes, while at GVWR. This suggests that the manufacturer had in mind the possibility of the stock brakes bringing more than the GVWR to a stop. Do you have to drive accordingly? Of course. But my point is, although I don't do it, I would not personally worry about busting the GVWR by a couple hundred pounds from time to time as long as my suspension can handle it, I'm not towing, and the driver is competent and knows what to expect of the vehicle's performance at those weights.

Last edited:

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Like a lot of guys, I used to think heavily overloaded midsize and half ton trucks were ok. Then I drove an HD truck with 2000# in the bed. Night and day difference in stability and comfort. Literally night and day.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader

you're wound a wee bit too tight, dude. Nothing wrong with discussing other vehicles/comparing Toyota to other vehicles. Don't want to read the thread, don't read the thread... pretty simple. Let the discussion happen.

So he is entitled to his opinion. But I’m not? Copy that

Clutch

<---Pass
Like a lot of guys, I used to think heavily overloaded midsize and half ton trucks were ok. Then I drove an HD truck with 2000# in the bed. Night and day difference in stability and comfort. Literally night and day.

Is really night and day? Or night and evening at dusk? :p Of course a HD truck is going to handle 2000 lbs in the bed over a midsize/half ton.

Oh it is all relative. If you keep everything within its’ design perimeters. Everything thing is good. You can overland anything. Our 2.5 ton dump would put our F350 Dump to shame, it would yank around skidsteers like they weren’t even back there. But try and pull the Bobcat and a full load of gravel in the 2.5 ton...yeah good luck!

Last edited:

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Is really night and day? Or night and evening at dusk? :p Of course a HD truck is going to handle 2000 lbs in the bed over a midsize/half ton.

Oh it is all relative. If you keep everything within its’ design perimeters. Everything thing is good. You can overland anything. Our 2.5 ton dump would put our F350 Dump to shame, it would yank around skidsteers like they weren’t even back there. But try and pull the Bobcat and a full load of gravel in the 2.5 ton...yeah good luck!

Yes. Night and day. I've done a Wrangler Unlimited, a couple of F150s (one with an ATC popup in the bed) and now my Ram 3500 which started life with a 3500# Lance camper in the bed but now just has a Leer cap. Highway miles in the Ram are so much more comfortable it isn't funny.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yes. Night and day. I've done a Wrangler Unlimited, a couple of F150s (one with an ATC popup in the bed) and now my Ram 3500 which started life with a 3500# Lance camper in the bed but now just has a Leer cap. Highway miles in the Ram are so much more comfortable it isn't funny

I was just bein a ******************. :D

Amazing how far trucks have come. New 1/2 tons will run circles around the old 3/4 ton stuff from the 60’s and 70’s.

New 3/4-1 ton diesels are putting out more torque than our old Tri-axle Mack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles