How important is GVWR?

rruff

Explorer
Comparing a Toyota to an RV is simply stating “yeah, but there are worserer stuff out there, so I’m fine.” Doesn’t hold water.
Has to be a logical clmparison is - is an underloaded Toyota safer than overloaded?

If there is a safety standard for road vehicles shouldn't they all meet the same ones?

The answer to the question is "it depends". It's certainly possible to make a truck brake and handle much better than stock. It's also possible to turn it into a piece of crap.

And this one is mostly for Ozrockrat, who may or may not be aware of the kind of pickups that can be legally driven in 'Merica. Here is a semi entertaining video of women climbing into them:

"

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Next time I'm broke, I'm taking out a brodozer, and then suing.

Seriously though, I get cut off and brake checked once a year by someone looking to get paid by a company truck. Won't be long until these crack heads start targeting overloaded campers.

Clutch

<---Pass

"Hey bro! Nice truck...so sorry to hear about your penis though...now everyone knows..."

One of the girls' boyfriend at my old job had a F350 CCLB sitting on 54's...he was cowboying it out of the parking lot one day and flipped it on its' side...it was quite awesome to see, tires still spinning, diesel puking out of the tank.

His poor ego was so hurt, he immediately said, the next one will be even taller!

Maybe if he had a overloaded camper on there he wouldn't of flipped it... :D:p

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I live in Phoenix these days so I am familiar with the lifted truck scene (although here is no where near as bad as Florida). But I did wonder how those petite ladies got in them so that was a very educational video .

And I am as guilty as most about modifying my vehicles. I believe in rubber lifts to get ground clearance hence the change from 31” tires on the last truck to 43”. And it did reduce the braking capacity. But that was on a vehicle that could be bought from the factory with 41” and I was running it significantly under the GVRW. I am now in the process of fitting MRAP axles and 4WD under my Freightliner currently. But again I am increasing braking capacity and will not be going within 20% of my GVRW.

a52d0a8a66a0944e8d97e0b58a331dcf.jpg

So As you can see I am the last person that would be preaching that you should not modify vehicles. All I take exception to is someone on an open forum saying it’s OK to overload your vehicle. There are too many internet mechanics who will believe them.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
One other question I have is do these lift kits come with anything to reset the brake proportioning valve. If you move the axle away from the body the OEM setup is not going to work anymore. I know I had to rework that with my 6 wheeler before engineering would certify it in Australia but I have never seen it mentioned in the USA.
For the older Toyota equipped with them the answer is yes. It's a bracket to compensate for the lift and put the rod back within the window of travel, where you adjust it per the FSM. It's low tech but worked fine on my 1991.

bpv-k-2.jpg

Toyota trucks newer than 2005 don't have LSPV anymore since the multiple circuit ABS/TRAC/VSC with sensors at each wheel achieves the same outcome, preventing wheel lockup, better.

However a cursory search indicates that even in Oz their solution is largely the same as most people, zip tie the rod in the upright and locked position to the frame cross member, effectively turning on the rear brakes fully, or install a manual proportioning valve at the master cylinder. LOL.

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=130239

Last edited:

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Oh and just to add to the flames. I haven’t looked at any of the new “safe even when overloaded” Tonka Toy Tacoma’s lately but back in 2016 they didn’t even have disk brakes on the rear axle. Have they managed to rectify that throwback to the Jurassic design yet?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Oh and just to add to the flames. I haven’t looked at any of the new “safe even when overloaded” Tonka Toy Tacoma’s lately but back in 2016 they didn’t even have disk brakes on the rear axle. Have they managed to rectify that throwback to the Jurassic design yet?
Tacoma and Hilux are the last hold outs to a simpler time, when the dinosaurs that would eventually fuel our truck were still roaming about. I remember the dealer salesman at Pangea Toyota lamenting the loss of Stegosaurus not more than 78 millions years before our test drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz