How hot should the rear differential get?

glennm01

On my 2004 FG649, I noticed the other day after driving on the highway for 30 minutes or so that my rear differential was pretty hot. I was able to place my hand on the diff cover and keep it there for maybe 2 or 3 seconds before I had to pull it away. Not the most precise of measures I realize, but nonetheless, does this sound normal-ish? I did just recently drain and fill both diffs, so the oil level is good.

nickw

Adventurer
On my 2004 FG649, I noticed the other day after driving on the highway for 30 minutes or so that my rear differential was pretty hot. I was able to place my hand on the diff cover and keep it there for maybe 2 or 3 seconds before I had to pull it away. Not the most precise of measures I realize, but nonetheless, does this sound normal-ish? I did just recently drain and fill both diffs, so the oil level is good.
Pretty normal(ish) I think....it wouldn't worry me unless it was unbelievably hot to the touch. There is a lot going on there, heat transfer from brakes, seals, bearings, gears, oil....

Aussie Iron

Explorer
As long as you put the right oil in, it sounds fairly normal. Don't forget they are Limited Slip so every corner the clutch packs are slipping creating heat.

Dan.

jadmt

ignore button user
I have been driving since the 70's and I have found that differentials never get very hot. I do not ever recall having one that was hot enough I could only touch it for 2 seconds, but I have never had a fg649 so that might be normal for those. get an IR temp gun and see how hot it is.

Zuber

If it is still under the 200 deg. F range, it's good. Above that, like 250 F, the oil will degrade quickly, like 20k miles. Above 300 F, oil is done.

If you're running close to max weight, it's expected.

nickw

Adventurer
Here is a good thread over on Pirate4x4:

And a quick search for heavy big rigs:

Seems like those big rigs are running high 1XX's to low 2XX's, your's is probably quite a bit cooler than that, but your obviously not putting the stress on your rear end(s) like they are.

javajoe79

Fabricator
Depending on the oil, you can get away with quite a bit. The hotter the thinner the better as long as it still does it’s job.

glennm01

I got my hands on an on IR temp gun, and after a good solid 90 minutes on the freeway, I was surprised to see that it was only showing 130 degrees Fahrenheit. Interesting to see the difference between what *feels* hot and then the actual temp. I would've guessed a much higher temp would be required to render something untouchable for more than a few seconds, but after researching the matter, it seems that around 120 is considered the safe upper design limit for anything that needs to be touched by human hands. The things you learn... Anyway, I guess this was all much ado about nothing. Thanks to all for the insights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94