How hard could it be? My home built pop-up camper project

Next project was finishing the convertible bed for my daughter on the ride side, then building out a similar one for my son on the right. Both use piano hinges for the flip up platform and these locking and folding legs from Amazon on the underside:

I’m pretty happy with how it turned out and my kids approved, which is what counts the most. There’s about 10 inches of storage space behind the left side extension. I’m still thinking about how to make the most efficient use of that.

268FB7F6-040E-42F2-84CF-7F74DCEB9FBF.jpeg

I’m planning to order two more of the grey cushions to 1) serve as backrests when the space is in “bench mode” and 2) fill the voids in “bed mode” so the kids have fully cushioned beds.

I didn’t plan it this way originally, but I can order a pad for the full length bed on the right that will serve as a backpack on the full left side wall when the beds are stowed. What will serve as the backpad for the front left wall will perfectly fit the flip up platform section on the left side when in bed mode.

BF6DAFBD-518C-4092-B6CC-E0C56287F65F.jpeg

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Awesome build! I'm chewing on the idea of building one, but I know that if I think that I'll have it done this summer, it will be the next before it actually is.

Heh... yes. This.

Well for me anyways. Just stay focused and do it in stages and you will get there. Set goals and make them achievable. I stopped working on mine pretty much pre-summer when I realized my goal of getting to an Overland event I wanted to get to was not going to happen. Well that and my dad got sick, and life stuff happened...

I say go for it!

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I’m planning to order two more of the grey cushions to 1) serve as backrests when the space is in “bench mode” and 2) fill the voids in “bed mode” so the kids have fully cushioned beds.

I didn’t plan it this way originally, but I can order a pad for the full length bed on the right that will serve as a backpack on the full left side wall when the beds are stowed. What will serve as the backpad for the front left wall will perfectly fit the flip up platform section on the left side when in bed mode.

That looks good!

Awesome build! I'm chewing on the idea of building one, but I know that if I think that I'll have it done this summer, it will be the next before it actually is.

I’m not sure a project is ever completely done. That’s what makes it fun. Mine surely isn’t’ but I can continue to make it better in its current state and still use it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne