How frequent to clean camelback and what to use?

fiddypal

Adventurer
I am a new camelback owner and the previous one i owned was as a kid and i never cleaned it and vividly remember the green scum inside when i let it sit for a while and went to use it the next time. :D (good thing it was a clear bladder and i could see this before using!)

So to prevent this tragedy again, how often should i be cleaning my camelback out? What solution should i use to do so?

I got a nice US military one off ebay, same as this one just diff color: http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Army-New...004451?hash=item235aaae4a3:g:dMsAAOSwezVWu0AX

I really love this thing so far after a few uses. It has these connectors called "grimlocks" that are nice for quickly putting the bladder on a molle backpack or vest, etc. It also has straps so you can carry it like a backpack by itself. This worked great for me while i was on vacation doing 10+ mile a day treks, it holds just the right amount of water for a day without being too heavy, and you can also store small things inside the pouch like a backpack.

The water tube is thick and nearly impossible to damage, but the spout takes some getting used to in order to use properly. I was biting down too hard at first and not getting any water, though the line was kinked but it was just the stupid mouth piece.

zelatore

Explorer
Well, I suppose you could start with the cleaning kit Camelback offers. It's basically some tablets (bleach solution?), flexible brushes, and some hangers so you can keep it open while hanging upside down to dry it out.

If you only use water and get it open so it can breath after use you shouldn't have to clean it out too often. If you use anything else, like the elixer tabs (I use those...can't stand straight warm water) then I'd at least give it a good rinse after each use and let it air dry before putting it away.

They probably have an official recommended cleaning program, but I don't know what it is off the top of my head.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I just use water in mine, so I clean it almost never. Some people will say drain and dry after every use, but I usually just keep mine full of water. If the water tastes funky/old, I'll dump and refill.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I never have cleaned mine and it is likely 15 years old. When I get home, sometimes that is two weeks, I drain it, wipe it out with a paper towel through the big opening as best I can, and hang it upside down with a wad of paper towel stuffed inside to help prop it open as it dries. Never got any funky stuff.
My water bottles that I put drink mixes in can get stuff growing in them within a week if I don't keep them clean.
The waster bottles see sunlight but the Camel's Back stays in a pack so it never sees light which will have an affect on growth.

Darrell

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I only use water in mine, last week I was putting away some hunting gear and noticed my bladder still had water in it from October, emptied it and hung it over a hook for next time. If you only use water in it you shouldn't have to worry about cleaning it other than the bite piece.

fiddypal

Adventurer
OK good to hear! Only water in mine and i empty and hang it out to dry after each use so think i should be good with the occasional cleaning.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
I had a water bladder start smelling funky after several years of use. I ended up buying a new one and at the same time, came across an article from a backpacking publication that said one of his favorite hiking hacks was to store the bladder in the freezer when not in use, to kill anything that might be growing inside. I keep my Camelbak in the freezer full time now when I'm not using it, and has seemed to work great so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
The Camelbak cleaning tabs work well, but they are essentially just denture cleaner tabs with no flavoring agents. It is wise to clean your reservoir even if all you use is water in it. They can get funky over time.

I've switched to Hydropak reservoirs as they're the easiest to clean. They can be turned inside out very easily which makes them a snap to clean and dry.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Another trick is to freeze the bladder after a ride, and when you fill it to ride the ice melts.
I use powered Gatorade every time.... When I do wash it, I fill it with warm water and a couple of drops of dish soap. I drop a rag in and swoosh back and forth and then rinse out, As others said, hang it upside down and stick a towel in it.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Cleaning frequency depends on if it's stored in the dark or not. Light promotes growth. I wash my hand and arm first then just scrub out the inside with my hand and fingers. You can feel the slim so rub it off till its gone. No chemicals needed because the bladder is impregnated with silver. I have the tube brush but the newest bladders and tubes stay clean a long time.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
The Camelbak cleaning tabs work well, but they are essentially just denture cleaner tabs with no flavoring agents. It is wise to clean your reservoir even if all you use is water in it. They can get funky over time.

I've switched to Hydropak reservoirs as they're the easiest to clean. They can be turned inside out very easily which makes them a snap to clean and dry.

I like the Hydrapak as well. I have a couple of Camelbaks that I've had for a while, but my favorite hydration pack is Ultraspire (which incorporate 2 or 3 liter Hydrapaks) for day hiking - I really like the front pockets and the way it rides.

bhguy

Observer
polident denture tabs...cleans fast ...the minty taste fades after a few uses. I use by pack almost every day and clean it about every two weeks but I remove and clean the bite valve daily

ChadHahn

Adventurer
I picked up a bunch of clearanced priced store brand denture cleaning tabs that I use once in a while. The newer Camelbaks have are anti-bacterial but I still clean mine once in awhile .

Chad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior