How far should I trim my fender back for chains?

Alloy

OP, if you want great chains that are easy to install and tension tight enough to not worry about body damage, I say go for a good set of cam-style chains.
You can get them tight enough with just the cams that running bungees are not even needed. They are great insurance, but are not needed if the chains are installed correctly.

These are the chains I run on all of our full size rigs.
Nothing fancy, dont even have "ice breakers" but they are sturdy, cam-style, and they have never let me down.
They are our fail-safe for off the pavement travel in mud and deep snow.
4sd gets us in, and sometimes the chains are needed to get out.

I build my own chains and run cross chains every 2nd (double duty) link so there is no room for cams. Cams are easier/faster but for me the reduced bounce is worth it.

billiebob

lol

You do realize that you were the one that said this right?

You said less than 20mph
I said double that

All I'm saying is that is not only unrealistic, but wrong.
And it is. Your last post just supports my stance.
give yerself a backslap... your comment everyone is safe at 40mph is equally incorrect altho mine is on the safe side,
yers is on the not so safe side. National Parks Service recommends 25mph.

But what really counts is what the chain manufacturer says in the fine print...

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yes, stick to proper chains.

And if you run them regularly, invest in a proper chain repair tool as well. (y)

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I build my own chains and run cross chains every 2nd (double duty) link so there is no room for cams. Cams are easier/faster but for me the reduced bounce is worth it.

Certainly one way to do it. Adds weight too.
What do you use for tensioning?

Everything is a balance. I only run cam-style as its a guarantee for me that they are wicked tight and stay put.

billiebob

Not cables.......one use and don't trust them to stay together the next time you need them.
I agree but if your only use is getting the RAV4 to the ski hill.... they are light and simple.

We ran them on a Z28.... Canadian Tire specials??? those were the days, 1974?? Found this pic a few months ago. Love that car.
Bruce Z28 2.jpeg

Last edited:

Alloy

quoted, not my words....

SNOW CHAINS AND SPEED
The National Park Service When restrictions are in force, their maximum speed limit is 25 mph.

Reputable snow chain manufacturers tell you not to exceed 30 mph.

me, I use 20mph cuz if I can do 30mph there is no need for chains

Not that I like to but I'll run faster than 40mph but only with light duty chains that are are triple strapped with start tensioner and bunji cords. Its a toss up go fast or someone will do something stupid to get past me.

ripperj

Explorer

Can you post a quick pic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ripperj

Explorer
I started a chain thread if anyone felt like posting there :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94