How durable are MaxxFans?

tmacc

Our TC has a Fantastic Fan that only runs in the exhaust direction. We'd like a fan that is reversible. I looked at the Maxfans online and read a little about them. Reviews are fairly good.
We're leaving hopefully next month to go up to AK and Western Canada. We're planning to do the Denali Hwy and various other gravel roads. Have a reservation at the Park, but may have to try and change it to a later date. I't a 6 ton truck/camper, so it's not like we're going to be rock crawling or anything. We were up there last summer and explored around a bit. We used 4W Low a few times just so we could creep on some of the rougher roads.
So, can the Maxxfan handle this? I saw where Ski Bum Broke some tabs on his and had to replace his. I can always just replace the existing type fan with one that reverses and slap one of those big plastic covers over it.

Adding a reverse switch isn't too difficult if you don't want to switch out the whole fan. I actually just did this mod yesterday and it took less than 30 min.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I have two Maxxfans on our Tiger. One is the deluxe (built in cover) and the other is the standard model over the bathroom. I'm planning on adding a third where the a/c goes since we haven't needed the a/c yet. We've got 50k on them, both on and off-road with no problems. Work great. Good luck.

TantoTrailers

I love my Maxx, key to keeping it safe is to have it completely down while the rig is in motion, that way there is no leverage on the tabs and moving pieces when you hit bumps and that lid wants to drop. Good luck with the reverse mod, I would try that myself personally before replacing a fan! Safe travels up north, sounds like a blast.

tmacc

^^^
Good point. There's a heat wave up there now, so a shroud or max fan might not be needed. Still, I might do the Maxx just to have it and maybe have it be overkill rather than otherwise.
Last summer, we got a river permit and a friend offered us the use of his TC. We were hooked. We bought a used one last summer and we're taking off for a couple of years to find our next spot.

tmacc

Finally bought a 7000 and it's great. Much quieter than the fan it replaced. A remote might seem over the top, but when the location is over the bed, it's handy. The one draw back IMO is that the only way to have the shroud up when the fan isn't running is to manually raise it. Kind of a dumb feature to both of us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles