How does a 4runner tow an XVenture???

Wallygator

Adventurer
Hello all,
Trying to get first hand experience from those in the know of how a 2016 4Runner will tow an XV-2 XVenture trailer. I'm figuring it will be 2000 to 2500lbs loaded up. I know the 4Runner is rated at 5000# but that does not tell me how this vehicle actually tows. Does the truck struggle while towing, in other words will towing cause excessive wear on my baby? Will I be able to run trails with this combo without much effort? Will I need a transmission cooler? Any advice, thoughts, or first hand knowledge of towing an XVenture is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time. :camping:

On a side note I was actually shopping the new XV-3 as it is about 400 lbs lighter than the XV-2, but the XV-3 does not come with a tailgate and the rack is fixed. I need a tailgate and an adjustable rack so it has to be the XV-2. Also the XV-2 is on sale right now. Thanks.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I've been towing a #2600 trailer with a 2010 and now a 2016 since 2009...absolutely no problems. That's a great weight range and feels very comfortable with the truck.

Outside of LT tires, Airlift bags, and a decent brake controller, you'll be fine.

Wallygator

Adventurer
Thanks for the insight Titanpat57, that is exactly what I was looking for. Nice trailer and 4rnr! I just got my 2016 4rnr and will have to work on tires, air bags, and brake controller. Any recommendations? So you don't think a transmission cooler is in order? Hopefully will have the trailer by Feb or March.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Hello all,
Trying to get first hand experience from those in the know of how a 2016 4Runner will tow an XV-2 XVenture trailer. I'm figuring it will be 2000 to 2500lbs loaded up. I know the 4Runner is rated at 5000# but that does not tell me how this vehicle actually tows. Does the truck struggle while towing, in other words will towing cause excessive wear on my baby? Will I be able to run trails with this combo without much effort? Will I need a transmission cooler? Any advice, thoughts, or first hand knowledge of towing an XVenture is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time. :camping:

On a side note I was actually shopping the new XV-3 as it is about 400 lbs lighter than the XV-2, but the XV-3 does not come with a tailgate and the rack is fixed. I need a tailgate and an adjustable rack so it has to be the XV-2. Also the XV-2 is on sale right now. Thanks.

Just FYI, the XV2 's tailgate is the best work station out there! You will use it more than you can imagine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wallygator

Adventurer
Yeah that is why I want the tailgate. Good place to hang out at camp also. I contacted Schutt and they got back with me about the XV-3. They stated that the XV-3 is designed to keep costs of the trailer lower so it will not be available with a tailgate or an adjustable rack. So I will most likely get the XV-2 even though it is heavier and quite large. It also seems my fears of towing it and harming my 4runner are unfounded.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the insight Titanpat57, that is exactly what I was looking for. Nice trailer and 4rnr! I just got my 2016 4rnr and will have to work on tires, air bags, and brake controller. Any recommendations? So you don't think a transmission cooler is in order? Hopefully will have the trailer by Feb or March.

Thank you

It depends how you want to play when you get where you going. Once camp is setup, it's fun to go out and wheel a bit, but in the back of my mind I try to remember that I have to tow it back home.

I like security and durability of LT tires. Right now I'm running the 275 KO2's.....so far very happy with them. In the spring I'll be installing my lift and bumper, sliders and skids....so off road capabilities will get a bit better.

This build I used the Prodigy III controller. The truck comes with a plug and play harness. The airbags are made by Airlift 1000....best mod you can do for $100.....I ran the fill nipples in the corners by the lift gate...stay nice and clean, easy to fill, protected from the weather. Come in over to www.t4r.org/5th gen section and join. Let's of specific info on the platform and towing. I towed the same setup with my 2010 4runner and no tyranny cooler....no issues what so ever.

Let me know if you need any help

tlbeach

Observer
Hello all,

Could you pass along where you saw the XV-2 on sale? Thanks.

Ed B

Adventurer
Where are you located? I'm in Southern California and you can come and tow mine around town if you want to see how it tows. My LX470 is rated for 5500 lbs and it tows great. I certainly feel the weight on long steep grades, the Mammoth Grade out of Bishop being one, but just stayed in the right lane and was fine. Bought the trailer in Portland and have been back to the PNW on trips and never had any issues with the climbs on those trips.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
As far as the transmission cooler goes, I can't think of any reason why you WOULDN'T want one. When towing a 2000lb T@B the transmission in my 2007 4runner would get very hot climbing up grades, and that was with the cooler. A transmission cooler is maybe $50. A new transmission is $2000+. IMO it's cheap insurance.

Semi-Hex

Enfant Terrible
I tow an 1100 lb. Jumping Jack that we've had for five years. Lots of miles, I live in the West so lots of hills and passes and have been over 10,000 feet pulling this. 114 F temps down to 8F. I have lt tires and like Pat, I have air bags that seem to work just fine. I get regular service and haven't had any issue with burnt fluids.

Last edited:

Wallygator

Adventurer
Could you pass along where you saw the XV-2 on sale? Thanks.

The dealer I have speaking with mentioned it to me and he said Schutt has a holiday sale on right now until the end of February.

Where are you located? I'm in Southern California and you can come and tow mine around town if you want to see how it tows. My LX470 is rated for 5500 lbs and it tows great. I certainly feel the weight on long steep grades, the Mammoth Grade out of Bishop being one, but just stayed in the right lane and was fine. Bought the trailer in Portland and have been back to the PNW on trips and never had any issues with the climbs on those trips.

I am on the east coast. Thank you for posting your experience. I am concerned if the truck will struggle with the weight, especially on the trail. How do you like your XVenture?

As far as the transmission cooler goes, I can't think of any reason why you WOULDN'T want one. When towing a 2000lb T@B the transmission in my 2007 4runner would get very hot climbing up grades, and that was with the cooler. A transmission cooler is maybe $50. A new transmission is $2000+. IMO it's cheap insurance.

Yes I will get a trans cooler no matter what. Titan pat did not mention it in his mods so I was asking him his thoughts on it. Have to research which one to get. Was thinking about a factory one from the V8 4runner days, but I have had B&M in the past and they worked fine.

I tow an 1100 lb. Jumping Jack that we've had for five years. Lots of miles, I live in the West so lots of hills and passes and have been over 10,000 feet pulling this. 114 F temps down to 8F. I have lt tires and like Pat, I have air bags that seem to work just fine. I get regular service and haven't had any issue with burnt fluids.

Thanks for posting your experience with this. Air bags are in order.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles