How do you transport your fishing rods?

Wilbah

Adventurer
We're talking about ways to carry the rods so they don't get damaged in transit. The PVC tube most of us have mentioned is either a purpose built rod case or using what is commonly called a conduit carrier tube like you see on work trucks- normally workmen slide things like conduit, leveling rods, etc. in them but fishermen use them to carry fishing rods. They use a piece of PVC pipe and a set of end caps that affixes to them then some form of clamp to hold them to your roof rack. Examples: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=conduit+...N&sprefix=condut+,aps,159&ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_6_7
I've never had problems with my rods banging around, but then I don't have >$100 rods anymore either. I've always just shoved a rag or piece of foam in to take up space before putting the cap on and it seems to hold them well enough.

I don't know of anyone who uses a rod case in the canoe itself but I suppose you could buy one of the collapsible styles so you could make it smaller once you got the rod out?

I never had a rod break in the PVC tube. The one I made is (iirc) 5" PVC so it can hold a number of rods. But with lots of bumpy roads I just worried about them rubbing on the PVC for extended periods of time (and FWIW I am using cheapie fly roads, no $800 Orvis rods for me....unfortunately! Ha!). I find it works well to keep them protected but as I said earlier I live the idea of something that would allow safe transport while keeping the reel in place and line ready to go.

robert

Expedition Leader
Sorry, I should have quoted the post above mine about transporting rods in a canoe (that's the way I read his post anyways) since that's actually what I was replying to.

I actually like the idea of the rod socks and may buy a couple. I've noticed the epoxy or whatever it is that covers the wrapping thread on the toes of the eyelets has cracked on a couple of my older rods and I've had them get bent a little; I don't think it happened in transit but who knows, it may have. Since I haven't been surf fishing (in the US) in a couple of years now I haven't used my rod tube in a while (it's made from a piece of 4" PVC with a locking well cap on one end), I typically just buy two piece rods so I can toss them behind the seats or in the back. I don't seem to do a lot of fishing like I used to so it's just not something I think about much. I actually have a 1950s split bamboo fly rod but it needs some restoration work; it's stored in it's old aluminum tube.

rickmac

Check out Emmrod. Setup is perfect for me to use while out with ATVs and easy to fit in the canoe. Look odd as they are designed for horseback or something but it means I can take them anywhere.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I never had a rod break in the PVC tube. The one I made is (iirc) 5" PVC so it can hold a number of rods. But with lots of bumpy roads I just worried about them rubbing on the PVC for extended periods of time (and FWIW I am using cheapie fly roads, no $800 Orvis rods for me....unfortunately! Ha!). I find it works well to keep them protected but as I said earlier I live the idea of something that would allow safe transport while keeping the reel in place and line ready to go.

Rod socks plus reel covers. The answer really is that simple. My Yellowfin bay boat running open water at 65mph beats rods around way worse than any vehicle and all my rods look great.

RJ Howell

Mine is somewhat like the attachment. It's a double carrier and reinforced tubes/reel section. I attached a spin cast version for you. I'm a fly-guy..
Rod case

tanokosohana

It all depends what size your roads are. I usually put them between the driver’s and passenger’s seats. It’s a little bit uncomfortable, but I have no other choice. I tried once to stick on the top of the car. However, this was a complete failure because after some hours of driving, the rods felt down. I haven’t noticed that and my Marco Island boat tours and fishing were screwed. If your car is equipped with necessary tools for fishing, then yes. Otherwise you tend to have the same experience as I did.

Last edited:

Overlandtowater

unfortunately like this, but not for long after I get this drawer system done I have something planned, kind of hard to explain. I thought about using hammock straps across the top and just fastening the rod tip and but end into the premade loops. may still go that way.20200530_190448.jpg

D

Deleted member 9101

New set up. Made from scrap metal and a black cutting board. Bolts into the box link mounting holes. 20200525_181442.jpgFB_IMG_1591492827452.jpgFB_IMG_1591492833692.jpgFB_IMG_1591492830592.jpg

D

Deleted member 9101

I like the looks of this solution! Did you build the rod holder or is it store bought? Looks like the bed divider is home built.

I was thinking of building a bed divider like that for my truck as well.

Sorry bud, Just saw this.

Those rod holders were off of Amazon.

The bed divider is a 2x10. It works great.

John Baker

Very neat. Where would one find those materials?
The cast aluminum locking hatch and U bolt bracket are used on service trucks and are called conduit carriers. Try searching "8 inch conduit carrier kit". The ones I use are made by Buyers. I dont recommend the 6 inch version- too small. The aluminum tubing I got online from DX Engineering. Go to "departments" then "rigid tubing". The have many diameters and lengths available and also have fiberglass tubing. I bought 1.875 in OD/ .058" wall tubing in 6 ft lengths and spliced them together with a 2.000" OD (1.884" ID) splice tube and epoxy because the shipping cost more than the tubing does if you order longer than 6 ft. The grey piece is 8 inch PVC. PVC is getting expensive, but this length often gets thrown away on large construction projects. Carrier kit- $95; 4 pieces 1.875" OD 6ft tubing- $110; 1 pc 2.000 OD tube 3 ft- $16. various 1-1/2 in PVC fittings- the ID of schedule 40 pvc is 1.900" so the 1.875 OD aluminum fits real nice when you epoxy it together- $15. All in around $250, but try finding one that can hold a spey handled flyrod and a bait caster in one vault. Plus this thing is as bullet proof as the $500 vaults.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles