How do you transport your fishing rods?

Adventure_Yowie

An option is a brand called rod armour. They do the rod socks, lure wallet and securing strap to protect your gear.

IMO I'd just take the reels off the rod as it only takes 5 minutes to set up and you can store them in a tuff case.

robert

Expedition Leader
For my one piece surf rods I've got a piece of 4" PVC with a cap glued on one end and a ground water monitoring well locking pin on the other; I run a small cable through the lock and then my Yakima bars. It's easy enough to cut a piece of PVC with a string but it'll keep most folks from messing with them. I take the reels off. My fly rods are two piece and travel in a rod case, my spinning rods travel behind the seat or tossed on top of my sleeping bag in the back.

pigsammy

Two piece rods will travel fine set up. I use rubber bands to hold the pieces together and slide them into a rod sock or a gun case. A soft pistol case works great for a travel or light telescoping rod setup with a reel and lure, even in a saddlebag or backpack. There are some surprisingly decent telescopic rods available. I keep one in each of my hunting and work trucks for quick access when I don't want to take time set up one of my "better" rods.

mnwanders

This won't work in your individual situation, but I bought this about a month ago and I really like it so far, so I thought I'd share with the group.

http://usa.innoracks.com/product/fishing-if4/

I'll admit it has limitations though. It doesn't work the best in vehicles with sun/moon roofs because of the different ceiling heights. I think it would work pretty slick in a long vehicle like a Suburban or in a situation where no one ever sits in your third row. It's also kind of pricy, unless you find a deal somewhere. I got mine for about half price, so I'm pleased.

lowrider1

10'- 4" PVC for a lot of rods. I have a rack on my Polaris 700 4 wheeler that I can carry a kayak, 16' canoe or my 13' Kaboat the 4 miles to the big lake. The PVC straps easily to whatever is up there. In a truck they usually go on a roof rack and I have stickers explaining painful things that will happen if someone touches them...so far it works.

Wilbah

Adventurer
I did the PVC tube also with an expanding plug on the open end (glued a cap on the far end). It doesnt hold the reels but I am more worried about banging around getting damaged than being ready to cast in seconds. I actually find it takes longer to get them out of the socks I use than to take them out of the tube (I didn't want them banging around inside the tube unprotected).

I like the idea of mounting a small/thin metal box lined with rubber with a larger area at the back for my reel so I wouldnt have to break it down to travel. My thought was a "box" just over 9' long with a door on the back end. Get done fishing, slide it into the "box" with real still attached and line still run through the eyes.

Many times when out in the woods I will go from stream to stream and it does become more of a pain to take it out of the tube and set it up for a stream I might only try a few casts on. I have just broken it down leaving the reel and line in place but did have one get broken that way when we hit a bump that was larger than expected and something shifted in the back of the truck. When travelling a distance the PVC works well.

lugueto

Adventurer
I use elastic straps and tie the rods sans reals to the grab handles to the roof.

This applies to bass rods which are usually shorter than 7 feet.

Reels always go safely inside my bag.

D

Deleted member 9101

I mounted rod holders underneath the tonneau cover. I have the 5.5 bed and the 10' Uglystick Big Waters juuuust fit. 20190120_170721.jpg

johnjake

I did the PVC tube also with an expanding plug on the open end (glued a cap on the far end). It doesnt hold the reels but I am more worried about banging around getting damaged than being ready to cast in seconds. I actually find it takes longer to get them out of the socks I use than to take them out of the tube (I didn't want them banging around inside the tube unprotected).

I like the idea of mounting a small/thin metal box lined with rubber with a larger area at the back for my reel so I wouldnt have to break it down to travel. My thought was a "box" just over 9' long with a door on the back end. Get done fishing, slide it into the "box" with real still attached and line still run through the eyes.

Many times when out in the woods I will go from stream to stream and it does become more of a pain to take it out of the tube and set it up for a stream I might only try a few casts on. I have just broken it down leaving the reel and line in place but did have one get broken that way when we hit a bump that was larger than expected and something shifted in the back of the truck. Before this i want canoe for solo fishing but after some time. I thought this is batter then solo canoe When travelling a distance the PVC works well.

I am using solo canoe for transport my fishing rad due to solo canoe fishing become very easy for me i can travel from one side to center of river every one know that mostly fishes live in center of water but is very difficult to carry for fishing i need something light weight like you PVC tube you are using from long time i want to know about PVC tube more.
Can you explain disadvantage of PVC tube...?
Can i use or canoe is best......?
How you handle it during fishing....?

Last edited:

robert

Expedition Leader
We're talking about ways to carry the rods so they don't get damaged in transit. The PVC tube most of us have mentioned is either a purpose built rod case or using what is commonly called a conduit carrier tube like you see on work trucks- normally workmen slide things like conduit, leveling rods, etc. in them but fishermen use them to carry fishing rods. They use a piece of PVC pipe and a set of end caps that affixes to them then some form of clamp to hold them to your roof rack. Examples: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=conduit+...N&sprefix=condut+,aps,159&ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_6_7
I've never had problems with my rods banging around, but then I don't have >$100 rods anymore either. I've always just shoved a rag or piece of foam in to take up space before putting the cap on and it seems to hold them well enough.

I don't know of anyone who uses a rod case in the canoe itself but I suppose you could buy one of the collapsible styles so you could make it smaller once you got the rod out?

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Rod socks work wonders to keep expensive rods safe when you throw them in a pile together in a tube or rod box. I am a total convert to using them all of the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles