How do you transport your fishing rods?

So my dilemma is such - I need to protect my rods and yet keep them easily accessible from the back of my truck. I don't have high end equipment, but it works and I'd rather not replace it.

I have an F150 with 5.5' bed, and have 2 bait casters that will fit long ways and a 6.5' ugly stick with a spinner on it. I can break the ugly stick into 2 parts, but how do i keep them together and not mess up any of the eyes or etc? I prefer to keep the poles ready to go (reel attached, threaded and hooked).

Doing an expedition across the UP of michigan this summer and the goal is stop and throw a line into any lake/river/stream that looks promising. I'd also like to keep at least a rod or 2 in the truck most of the summer in case I want to stop after work.

TIA

Kiriesh

Adventurer
I usually keep the rod itself just rubber-banded together in my back seat of my truck but I don't usually keep it still setup since I don't move once I've gotten to where I'm fishing. If you're in unincorporated areas (i.e. you don't worry someone is going to come up and steal your stuff) I've seen guys transport rods with ski-racks on their roofs. You can lock the rod itself down fine but I'd worry about the reels walking off if I left them on in a parking lot. If you have room on your roof that may be a solid solution, that way you don't even have to break them in half they can stay completely ready to go clamped down.

kesepton

I don't know what your distance is between locations but you can mount them on your bumper. When we are pond hoping or canal fishing, we will generally set up on our first spot then all the rods go on the front bumper standing up in holders. We are driving short distances though, no more than a few hundred yards. Work as your rod holders too when bank fishing.

But if you want it all the time, youll just have to tie up when you arrive. Its really not that big a hassle unless you've got a complicated rig.

robert

Expedition Leader
Without a shell on the back there really isn't much of a way to carry them rigged without the risk of having the reels stolen- they're just too too easy for some junkie to grab and flip for a few bucks. :mad: There are a couple of locking storage boxes made to carry fly rods with the reels on them but they won't work with other style rods, at least none that I've seen.

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
Put them in a PVC tube with an end cap glued to one end and a threaded cap on the other end. drill a hole through the cap, run a wire through and attach it to main tube. Put a lock on it and bolt it to your bed.

626a50dfda51780612ab2d5fa71dabf0.jpg

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
That'll work on cheapie rods but I wouldn't want to haul decent ones that way. For one you don't want them getting rained on all the time, plus a nice reel is a target for thieves if you leave the vehicle unattended. If they are 50 buck combos I'd just cram them in however you can.

waveslider

Outdoorsman
El gigante, I've seen a couple of solutions that involve PVC or plastic conduit that is bent in a gentle angle to accommodate rods that are longer than the pickup bed. I don't know if the constant bend of the rod has any impact to the graphite/fiberglass/etc but its a pretty cool way to store them.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
The amount of time it really takes to put your reel on and ready to roll is no issue. Its not like your hunting an animal, you are going to be in a pond etc, for more than 15 seconds...so I do not see the need to have it all strung ready to rock like a hunting rifle.

Jay61

I mainly fly fish, so I just use my rod tubes along with a still pond reel box. Everything is protected, even on the bumpiest trails. If time is an issue, I will use a Simms two rod travel case My reel is already attached to the rod and I just have to put the 4 pieces together and run my line through the eyes, it takes all of a minute or so.

Explorerinil

Observer
I mainly fly fish, so I just use my rod tubes along with a still pond reel box. Everything is protected, even on the bumpiest trails. If time is an issue, I will use a Simms two rod travel case My reel is already attached to the rod and I just have to put the 4 pieces together and run my line through the eyes, it takes all of a minute or so.
Denver outfitters makes a real nice fly rod holder

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles