How do you transport your fishing rods?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
The cast aluminum locking hatch and U bolt bracket are used on service trucks and are called conduit carriers. Try searching "8 inch conduit carrier kit". The ones I use are made by Buyers. I dont recommend the 6 inch version- too small. The aluminum tubing I got online from DX Engineering. Go to "departments" then "rigid tubing". The have many diameters and lengths available and also have fiberglass tubing. I bought 1.875 in OD/ .058" wall tubing in 6 ft lengths and spliced them together with a 2.000" OD (1.884" ID) splice tube and epoxy because the shipping cost more than the tubing does if you order longer than 6 ft. The grey piece is 8 inch PVC. PVC is getting expensive, but this length often gets thrown away on large construction projects. Carrier kit- $95; 4 pieces 1.875" OD 6ft tubing- $110; 1 pc 2.000 OD tube 3 ft- $16. various 1-1/2 in PVC fittings- the ID of schedule 40 pvc is 1.900" so the 1.875 OD aluminum fits real nice when you epoxy it together- $15. All in around $250, but try finding one that can hold a spey handled flyrod and a bait caster in one vault. Plus this thing is as bullet proof as the $500 vaults.
Thank you for the breakdown. I appreciate it.

ButchW

A couple of years I bought a 1986 Suzuki Samurai as a toad for my motor home, and to run to the beach for surf fishing... The Samurai is pretty short , but I wanted to carry my 2pc rods inside... I had about 5-1/2' of roof line to mount them in... 1st of all, there were only 3 overhead grab handles for the passengers, to mount to.. So I installed one more over the drivers side door, using jack nuts... It looks factory and is very sturdy... It worked out well... Then I bought a rack system off of Amazon... https://www.amazon.com/LITTLEMOLE-F...cphy=9031059&hvtargid=pla-1454310648947&psc=1 ...It is well made, and easily sturdy enough for my light weight 9-1/2' & 10', 2 pc rods... I pretty sure I could fit a 11', 2pc rod if I wanted ... I decided on a solid mount, as apposed to a web type, because there isn't a lot of room for movement in the tiny Samurai... Here is the final result...

ryQZp3m.jpg

horgeq9.jpg

9X3DNTf.jpg

3fkExJS.jpg

04d9xWV.jpg
Butch

ButchW

I carry the same two rods inside my truck's cab... Before I just laid one rod across my folded up rear bench seat of my extended cab 2008 GMC Sierra... That has worked fine for as long as I only carried only 1 rod, but recently I bought another heavier rod... One rod is a two piece 9-1/2", and the other is a two piece 10' ... Both will barely fit cross ways in my cab... So this is what I did..

1st I bought a Attwood Vertical Mount Rod Holder... It is a well made product of heavy rubber that wont scratch the rods.. It could have a little more spacing between the rods, because with reels attached, you can't get more than 2-3 rods on it... But for my purpose, it was fine... I then bought a piece of Kadex (You gun guys use this for pistol holsters) from McMaster-Carr to mount it to... I cut it to size and bent to shape, before mounting the holder to it (It is easy to work with)... I then used a quick connect strap I re-purposed from an old suitcase clothing tie-down... I hooked one end of the straps to the child seat tie-down loops behind the truck seat headrest... Once disconnected from the rod holder, these could be flipped out of the way...

yjzB8PZ.jpg

s8jzd0X.jpg

eHJGncq.jpg

5rQh6z8.jpg

v02ANCl.jpg

snPn7Du.jpg

Y803oHM.jpg

Butch

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member