How Do You Store Your Garbage?

Nailhead

I hope this is the right forum for this query; it is a sort of storage problem, after all.

A friend and I spent 2 1/2 years building my IH/Alaskan camper, sweating a myriad of details like having enough gas (three tanks, two original IH tanks with stock selector valve, third is a transfer tank), spare wheel storage (swing-out tire carrier made with a 4xInnovations hinge & latch kit), custom camper/tool box frame, various modifications to the stock Alaskan gas & water plumbing to accommodate a flatbed-with-sidebox configuration, and many others.

You know what I realized we forgot to incorporate when I took it on its first multi-day trip?

Yup-- garbage storage.

A plastic grocery bag hanging from a cabinet pull was the best I came up with en route, and I know there has to be a cleaner, more esthetically pleasing alternative. Problem is space: all the interior recesses that might be called on to house some sort of trash receptacle are already in use.

Hopefully there are some good ideas out there...

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Unless you're regularly in bear territory, it's hard to beat a Trasharoo/Oscars Mobile Hideout type outside trash bag. Even without a spare tire, there are ways to mount them outside a vehicle. Outside keeps the smell, etc. from being in the living space. They do collect dust though - you can look like you lost a fight with a powdered donut if you add trash right after running a trail.

That said, if you've got critter issues or otherwise don't want external trash, then I'd focus on something with a good sealing lid. MAK and Owen from Bound for Nowhere use a cereal container for their day-to-day trash - the lid seals and both keeps smells down and prevents spillage if the container gets tossed around while off-road. (It is relatively small, however - I think they transfer to larger bags they can then tie-off.)

krick3tt

Adventurer
I would make every effort not to 'store' trash inside. Herbie recommended a Trasharoo and that would be my recommendation as well. I once attended an event and was 'volunteered' to haul the trash away as my vehicle had the most interior space and even though the trash was double bagged it was months before I was able to get the smell out of my rig.
It would probably depend on how long you are going and what amount of trash you are going to be carrying. There are plastic boxes or cans that have a tight fitting lid and can be secured to an immovable surface with bungie that might work for you.
Dry bags with disposable inserts might work.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Maybe some ideas here:

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
At home, before the trip, repackage consumables, where possible, to minimize trash (think ahead).
On the road; minimal trash is generated; dump the munchie wrappers, cans and bottles at the fuel stops.
In camp, when there is no fire ban; burn the food waste and packaging in the fire pit/ring. (For civilized campers who must have toilets and showers dump the waste in the provided bins...)

link to another thread; managing trash

Enjoy!

Edit; I see Todd beat me to it!

Nailhead

Thanks for the ideas & info everyone.

I looked into the Trasharoo, but then I realized that space is ocupado, taken up mostly by a Jerry can holder (my spare wheel bolts onto the carrier at the front).

I'll check out that link for more ideas.

Old Tanker

Stage one for us was a Plano box tied to the roof rack, with a contractor bag inside. Stage two was using one of our Zarges boxes mounted to the roof rack, also with a contractor bag. We just added a rear swingout, so Stage three will be an Oscars Mobile Hideout on the spare.

kga1978

I second what @mtnbike28 said - a plastic can / vault with a Gamma lid. I wouldn't get one with a tapered top though - it can be really hard to get the bag out if it's full. I have one of these: shorturl.at/gDY89. I then use that in combination with an Oscars Mobile Hideout so I never have to store trash in the car - but I like the ability to take the Gamma vault out of the tire bag so it's more accessible around camp.

GARB (Garbage and Recycling Bag) 1000 denier Cordura. Has snaps inside to keep the 2 bags (side by side) from sinking down, it has a divider in the middle that can be removed to make 1 large compartment, recovery board straps in the lid, 3 outer pockets and a side of molle webbing to custimize attachments or hang stuff from. Made in Canada.
6AA233A0-3265-4142-AE41-4A2A554D2BFC.jpeg
43022980-B6D8-42CF-995A-9F3159698534_1_105_c.jpeg

40B79B8A-989D-44E8-8FDF-625FB2F2DE66_1_105_c.jpeg

3E86DDD1-BAFC-4C2B-A2C2-C369B473B912_1_105_c.jpeg

llamalander

Ammo cans on the roof.
They seal well, are weather proof and can take a beating.
I use them for garbage, recycling and human waste when required.
One strap holds them in a frame on the rack, only takes a minute to empty them into a dumpster when I pass one.

4x4tripping

Adventurer
Trasharoo-Ersatzreifen-Rucksack.JPG

Always in the rear bag ;-)

trippin

Errant

Explorer
I also use the Kelty Litter G'tter, and have a larger dry bag that I can use if I have to hang onto stinky stuff for a few days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles