How do you properly clean recovery straps after getting muddy/dirty?

RobA

I tend to hose the mud or sand off and then put them in an old pillow case or similiar then into the washing machine. That way the strap is controlled and doesn't destroy the innards of the washing machine.

Always allow to dry naturally and never apply heat as this destroys the fabric

I found the comment on letting them dry in the sun surprising. In Australia none of our straps are UV stabilised so that sort of approach is somethingwe don't do. Still you guys may be different as I am not aware of which straps you use

Regards

RobA

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Step 1: Drive truck far into mud hole. If you are successful, go to step 6.
Step 2: Connect tow strap that needs to be cleaned to both trucks.
Step 3: Extract vehicle with as much fun (and safety) as possible.
Step 4: Continue your day of fun
Step 5: When you get home, hose off the equipment and let it dry.
Step 6: Repeat as often as possible!

Jason T.

BiG BoB

Adventurer
...I found the comment on letting them dry in the sun surprising. In Australia none of our straps are UV stabilised so that sort of approach is somethingwe don't do. Still you guys may be different as I am not aware of which straps you use...

Same here, I always wash them by hand in a tub of water, then airdry undercover (in the shed).

I guess the american members here don't need to live with the ozone hole they helped create and much higer UV levels like we do.

Sean

PS, Also in Adelaide!

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I guess the american members here don't need to live with the ozone hole they helped create and much higer UV levels like we do.

Well, notice we didn't put it above our continent:Wow1::sombrero:

LOL, seriously though didn't realize they weren't UV stabilized and mine rarely get so dirty that they need a full washing. If it's just dusty dirt, I don't wash it. If it's mud, then that would be another story altogether but fortunately 'knock on wood' I haven't had to be strapped out of a mud pit in a LONG time... but now that I've said that, I'm sure the next pit I'm in, will require strapping.

dust devil

Observer
I will use a common pressure washer to clean straps and, rarely, winch line, but I won't launder winch line. I have done it, but I probably took a year of service out of the line by doing it. The UV coatings are not all that durable to start with, and detergent will take them out of the rope, accelerating their break down in sun light. Mine went from blue to white in one washing in a net bag and wash machine, and looked fuzzy afterward. Not a good sign.

Laundering doesn't get all the dirt out of rope anyway, so a good rinse in a tub of warm water is as good as anything, in my opinion. High pressure water tends to fray 12-strand braid rope, so I go easy on the pressure if I use the wand. A good garden hose at standard house pressure is sufficient.

robert

Expedition Leader
Usually just Woolite and a plastic trash can, agitate by hand (use a plastic soft bristle brush for stubborn dirt), rinse well and let dry in the shade. For really nasty straps and ropes (i.e. red clay) I've taken them to the laundry mat and used the front loading machines with some Woolite; dry as above. You get really funny looks doing this. :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior