How do you level your rig when camping?

ReluctantTraveler

What's everyone's preferred way to level a truck camper?

Right now we have a travel trailer, which we level using an Anderson Leveler block and the tongue jack. I've seen a mix of options for truck campers:
  • Independent air suspension
  • Independent liquid suspension
  • Leveling blocks
  • Detach from the truck and use the camper jacks
  • Try to find flat ground, or don't bother leveling
For the build I'm planning out, I think I'd like an air or liquid suspension to level the truck.

Leveling is one my least favorite parts of the camper/trailer we have now, and I'm consistently jealous of the 1-click automatic leveling that people in motorhomes have. I'd assume, though, that air/liquid suspensions have their own set of tradeoffs?

Fishenough

Creeper
Find beautiful spot

fill leveling device to top line

place on bed platform to ensure levelness

toast upcoming great night
f768aefc5ca771eec4731d47196704ae.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
We have bags, blocks, and a shovel.

Typically we find a spot thats good enough for zero leveling or just blocks.

But when we work for a sweet spot, and planning on being there for a few nights, we do whats required.

51497697271_f1dbd448a3_b.jpg

51498623390_9ca9e47311_h.jpg

Alloy

I installed the 1-click Bigfoot Leveling and I'd do it again in an instant

***I would not install any other system becuase diamerter of the cylinders and cylinder rods used in the other system are not big engough.

The system is plumed to be automatic or manual. This allows me to set up at sites with over 12" difference side to side.

There is one failing in the system and that is the the weak retaining rings for the piston so don't over extend the pistons.

Toggle Switch (with fuse) for manual operation

20170809_140057.jpg

20170822_081217.jpg

20170904_183142.jpg20170521_093852.jpg20190503_100033.jpg

Last edited:

ReluctantTraveler

I installed the 1-click Bigfoot Leveling and I'd do it again in an instant

***I would not install any other system becuase diamerter of the cylinders and cylinder rods used in the other system are not big engough.

The system is plumed to be automatic or manual. This allows me to set up at sites with over 12" difference side to side.

There is one failing in the system and that is the the weak retaining rings for the piston so don't over extend the pistons.

Toggle Switch (with fuse) for manual operation

View attachment 726111

View attachment 726106

View attachment 726108View attachment 726109View attachment 726110

This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for! It's not that I'm too lazy to manually level, but when traveling with a family and only staying in a spot for a day or two, being able to level quick and get on with life (especially in crappy weather) makes exploring so much nicer.

Is there a reason you'd recommend a system like this over in the vehicle's suspension itself? I'm not opposed to an external leveler, just weighing the pros/cons right now.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I've yet to camp in a "campground". So to level I carry a shovel and dig a hole to lower whichever tires need it. And fill in the hole when I leave. Worked great for 20+ years!
P1070947r.jpg

1000arms

I don't bother to level my vehicle. I just pick as level a position as I can.

For you,

Leveling blocks are cheap and replaceable, and might be what you need to get started as soon as you can. You could always change systems down the road.

If your family members are capable of safely placing blocks and then moving to a safe location where you (or your spouse) can see them from the driver's seat, leveling might become a much quicker task.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Blocks. Mechanical and they work everytime. On the corners of my camper I have the leveling gauges that tell exactly how many blocks to use if any.. I like sleeping completely level and my Dometic fridge likes it too.

zb39

Adventurer
Kelderman Air System. I can raise or lower each corner from inside the camper with my phone. If I'm close to level I don't even bother.

ReluctantTraveler

Not sure what you mean by this?

I was under the impression the Bigfoot uses arms/feet, like a motorhome might. Some expedition trucks (notably, Earthroamer) use an air suspension system that lets you raise or lower each corner of the truck independently for leveling purposes.

ReluctantTraveler

Kelderman Air System. I can raise or lower each corner from inside the camper with my phone. If I'm close to level I don't even bother.

You just described my dream system.

How has that worked out for you? Looking on the site, they look shockingly affordable!

My biggest concern with a system like this would be long term maintenance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94