How do you haul mountain bikes on a trailer with a RTT?

JHRIII

I use a north shore rack behind my truck and use a hitch riser from curt designed for a hitch mounted rack. They make a two, four or six and takes up the least amount of length room. Like said above, if you put too much weight on the back of the trail it can cause issues. When running bikes on the roof of the trailer, it puts a lot of lateral stress on the racks if off road.
If you look on my build I originally had the rack on the back of the trailer and found the bikes got thrown around. Newer pictures show it behind the truck.

img_20180812_222253_929-jpg.492172
I like the basics platform of this setup. I am considering doing an adapter like there where I can perhaps put two bikes behind the jeep and two behind the trailer. Just have to make sure there is enough room so the bikes don't get pinched in a situation like crossing a deep narrow dip. Also, what trailer is that?

JHRIII

Particle

The Boreas MXT has a slightly extended tongue to accommodate a front hitch receiver. We put 2 bikes on top of the tool box and then the front hitch holds up to 3 more. The adjusted chassis means tongue weight isn't an issue, and dry weight of the trailer is ~2100 lbs. https://boreascampers.com/campers/boreas-mxt/

View attachment 600271
Winner winner chicken dinner! This is awesome.

We have the same problem, kids are 6 and 8 but both ripping singletrack here in Utah already, and the 8-yo's bike is now a 24" Norco so basically a full size bike. My daughter's 20" is still small enough we can stuff it inside things without too much trouble, but that's not going to last more than a year or two. We have an F150 so usually stick 2 bikes in the back (with a shell that supports the RTT), and 2 inside the trailer. Considering an Opus lately now though, which turns the whole equation on its head again. Sigh... it's a total pain in the ass.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My setup without the 4x6 camp trailer. I’ve thought about trying the hitch with the top mounted socket. But wholly smokes these vertical racks are heavy. I can see the rack shearing the top receiver part right off the tow bar.

Attachments

• D5408018-90E6-4D88-93DA-9F7D34F18A70.jpeg
    D5408018-90E6-4D88-93DA-9F7D34F18A70.jpeg
    430.9 KB · Views: 17

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My recent trip all bikes were racked on the trailer. I had the vertical bike rack lashed down under them on the trailer deck. We unpacked/ de rigged the bikes, setup camp, then loaded the bikes up on the hitch rack. Not ideal or fast but it worked.

Attachments

• 67AE6C7E-5935-486F-8F2B-92FCBE2A12E2.jpeg
    67AE6C7E-5935-486F-8F2B-92FCBE2A12E2.jpeg
    440.9 KB · Views: 21

billiebob

I use a north shore rack behind my truck and use a hitch riser from curt designed for a hitch mounted rack. They make a two, four or six and takes up the least amount of length room. Like said above, if you put too much weight on the back of the trail it can cause issues. When running bikes on the roof of the trailer, it puts a lot of lateral stress on the racks if off road.
If you look on my build I originally had the rack on the back of the trailer and found the bikes got thrown around. Newer pictures show it behind the truck.

img_20180812_222253_929-jpg.492172
Great solution, which beach, looks absolutely gorgeous.

hudsimtn

Observer
I like the basics platform of this setup. I am considering doing an adapter like there where I can perhaps put two bikes behind the jeep and two behind the trailer. Just have to make sure there is enough room so the bikes don't get pinched in a situation like crossing a deep narrow dip. Also, what trailer is that?
It's a home built trailer. M1103 base. I had to extend the tongue to fit the bikes on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles