How do you handle your high-mounted spare?

Trail Talk

Found this spare tire solution on the OEV Base Camp. Wonder how well it works in practice. The platform would seem to get in the way of lowering unless it drops down once the wheel is supported by the boom. Also not clear what the winching system is.

2021-BASE-CAMP-SW-Prototype-16 copy.jpg

Alloy

Found this spare tire solution on the OEV Base Camp. Wonder how well it works in practice. The platform would seem to get in the way of lowering unless it drops down once the wheel is supported by the boom. Also not clear what the winching system is.

Strap through the center of the wheel and it rolls sideways.

chet6.7

Explorer
I had some difficulty getting the tire/wheel on the bolts when using just the winch cable, adding a nylon strap made it workable.

Attachments

• DSCN0366.JPG
    DSCN0366.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 26

Trail Talk

Thanks for the tip. Took some hunting around to get specs and prices, they are very nice and very expensive, if you can find stock! A bit overkill in my situation but the design is on track; a bolt-on mast attached to the exterior to which you can drop on a short boom with manual winch when needed.

Trail Talk

I made a lifting block and tackle out of these to get full Scepter cans in my side hatch.

Love to see a picture of that set-up!

Edit: our ideal system would be able to lift both the spare and fuel containers. I've simplified the rear a bit by swapping out the roof ladder extension in favour of a step-ladder carried internally

Screen Shot 2022-05-13 at 9.56.48 PM.png

Last edited:

dstefan

Here you go. Much simpler camper, but same principles. We were lucky in having a very stout piece of 8020 15 series extrusions bolted into the frame above the window that serves as our bed slide-out. We can easily lift the 45lbs of full Scepter with the two small double blocks…and they are really small. The cord is 4 or 5 mm. These are rated a 450lbs WLL, so no problem with big tires etc. However, if I was lifting more weight regularly, I’d likely go for a triple block. There’s plenty of those on West Marine too. The sailing world is our friend!
1652549520574.jpeg
1652549571493.jpeg
1652549615519.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles