How do you handle your high-mounted spare?

Zuber

I'd start by replacing that steel wheel with another aluminum one.

You have eight lug wheels and the mount has four? Just add a long pin at the top to hang the rim on.

Going to bolts instead of studs is not a good idea. Anyone that had an old VW with those will agree.

Trail Talk

I've asked the brains at OEV to ponder modifying the existing tire mount to include a short boom extension with an eye so I can hang a pulley. From there I can use a block & tackle or come-along. I think retaining the top stud to hang the rim on, but replacing the other three with threaded bolts would also help greatly.

BLITZEN rear tire carrier B.png

andy_b

I assume that you've come to a solution already, but in case you haven't, another idea.

Getting the spare in and out of its home is something I've spent a ton of time thinking about - as others have mentioned, it never happens in a safe or convenient spot so time spent at the front end making the process straightforward pays dividends in use.

For trucks with angled boxes like yours, this solution would require some additional fabrication and complexity, but a swing down tire carrier would solve a lot issues. You install the tire on its carrier mounts while it is on the ground and a hand or electric winch could be added to allow easier loading and unloading. It just rolls on and off by a single user.

This is a commercially made example by Genright - it is "designed" for various model year Jeeps, but based on how it is mounted, it is fairly universal, especially for trucks with vertical walls on the rear.

a

Trail Talk

I assume that you've come to a solution already, but in case you haven't, another idea.

Thanks for this excellent link; I've come across the swing-down carriers and appreciate they are simple and robust.

A local wholesaler was clearing out hitch-mounted gambrel hoists so I grabbed one and am in the process of modifying it for my needs. Hope to post finished results soon, but it involves purchasing a 7" receiver extension and machining a 9" boom extension. If I don't like how it works, I won't have much invested ;-)

1-1-scaled.jpg

Driftwood77

I was going to suggest adapting an electric wheelchair car hoist. The arm swings out to lift the chair and stows away into the vehicle.
But it looks like you are getting sorted out.

Trail Talk

Well, its still in progress. The machine shop ignored my drawing and drilled the wrong size holes for the boom extension so I'm waiting for a fix, then paint and a trial run.

Thanks for the suggestion :) I am trying to avoid anything that must be powered or permanently mounted on the rear wall. In our climate, stuff mounted back there will get covered in dirt, mud or ice, depending on season.

Trail Talk

Boom and hitch extensions affixed and everything lines up when mounted on the truck! But it weighs 49lbs :oops:

boom extension 9%22.JPG

Trail Talk

Exactly, something that would allow me to use just the top portion of the hoist. Save a ton of weight! Don't want to stand on the roof to operate; its as slick as an ice rink in winter. Could simply extend the post down to chest level though. Now when you say "fabricate" I get nervous, don't have tools or talent :rolleyes:.

Both my blue truck’s spares (mounted and unmounted) have a place above to attach a small manual chain hoist. I have done it in the field.
I am going to try to talk the owners of the white MAN to put an unmounted 14.00R20 on the empty roof rack. They have a mounted spare on the hydraulic rear deck which holds a 4 wheeler (aka ATV in the lower 48). They may go to South America and 20s, as opposed to 22.5s, are unobtainium there.

I very rarely take a second spare on the roof rack. First spare is below the landcruiser, so no problems there. If second one is ever needed, which is unlikely: to take it off roll/throw off the roof rack. Grab a bottle of water and go looking for it in the scrub. Roll it back. To put the flat one away either put in the back of the vehicle or wait for a friend with a ute, two person lift from the ground into the tray, park vehicles next to each other, climb in the tray with friend and two person lift onto the roof rack. Yes it's not ideal but then again never had to do it in anger yet.

Ah and I would NOT do it with anything much larger than a landcruiser wheel!!!

Regarding the previous post, a hand operated chain hoist works without the need for 110v. I’ve only needed to use it twice , “in the field”. The rest of the time a heavy truck tire place has a forklift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94