How do you handle your high-mounted spare?

Howard70

Adventurer
I've used Petzl ascenders for climbing which have the same type of one-way friction cam so I'm having trouble picturing what your saying. In my situation wouldn't the cam be 8 ft above ground on the top pulley? When I'm up the ladder and attaching the device to the overhead eye I can easily release the cam to lower, but wouldn't the tire be in free-fall once off the mount? If I hook it up with the cam engaged to hold the tire, once I'm back on the ground how would I release the cam?

Yes - once you release the cam and "lock" it open, there is no resistance. So if you want to release the cam, lock it open, leave the line unattended, clamber back down, then begin lowering the Jag wouldn't work in it's traditional orientation. I'm not sure that's much different from any pulley system. I'd thought the main issue was hoisting the tire up.

Howard

Trail Talk

I'd thought the main issue was hoisting the tire up.

Howard

There would be two operations involved; first lowering the spare then raising the flat, so dealing with the same weight in both directions. The suggestion of a light-duty chain hoist has opened my eyes to another possibility as these have automatic brakes and go up or down depending on which chain you pull.

chet6.7

Explorer
Some time back I saw this guy dealing with a tire change, I don't remember what he did though.
Everlanders Youtube

Trail Talk

Some time back I saw this guy dealing with a tire change, I don't remember what he did though.
Everlanders Youtube

Right, forgot about that cool Saskatchewan rig. Searching the channel came up with a few videos on their tire rack and hoist. They've used the same idea of a detachable L-shaped boom to hang the top pulley from, with the brilliant idea of having two holes to angle the tire either inwards or outwards depending on the direction they want it to swing. Not a big fan, though, of his four pulley system without a brake or that he has to physically heave it up the last couple of feet, so a two-person job.

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Right, forgot about that cool Saskatchewan rig. Searching the channel came up with a few videos on their tire rack and hoist. They've used the same idea of a detachable L-shaped boom to hang the top pulley from, with the brilliant idea of having two holes to angle the tire either inwards or outwards depending on the direction they want it to swing. Not a big fan, though, of his four pulley system without a brake or that he has to physically heave it up the last couple of feet, so a two-person job.

That's exactly what I mean when I say I like the precise adjustments of the small chain hoist solution. Anything that involves rope and/or pulley (like the climbing systems mentioned) require you to either find a way to hold the weight by hand (Person 2) or uses a stopper of sorts (cam or friction) and when you want to go in the other direction you have to unweight the device, etc.

When putting the spare back up, the amount of talking to god involved with getting the holes to line up with the studs is not to be understated. And trying to do that while simultaneously holding the weight of the load (even with a mechanical advantage) or unweighting to activate the thumb lever on an ascender seems a bridge too far for me.

By the same token, getting the spare holes to line up on the truck hub requires the same sorts of discussions, especially with a heavy tire like ours. For that task, we have a set of airbags (like the ones firemen use to lift cars off people pinned down) which also serve as our bourgeois leveling blocks if we can't find a level place to camp. They are VERY minutely adjustable and store relatively easily.

Just food for thought.

EDIT: In fact, I have to replace our rear winch next week (story for another day - sigh) and I expect to use the chain hoist in that effort as well. Its only 180 lbs though :)

Alloy

There would be two operations involved; first lowering the spare then raising the flat, so dealing with the same weight in both directions. The suggestion of a light-duty chain hoist has opened my eyes to another possibility as these have automatic brakes and go up or down depending on which chain you pull.

A chain hoist is best hung vertically or the hand chain catches
1651846966233.png

A chain puller (come along) is a more versatile tool.

If the top mounting bolt is 1"-2" longer it makes putting the wheel on easier.

Alloy

I must say that is one of the worst pulley set ups I've seen caused by the lifting arm being too close to the tire.

You could make a swinging lifting boom by bolting a glass shower door hinge where the top of the ladder is. The boom could be a pcs of 1/2" x 4" aluminum flatbar

waveslider

Outdoorsman
I think he is saying having it extend a little further than the others to allow getting it on first and taking the weight so you can then line up the others easily. A nice trick indeed! Thanks for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles