How do you guys organize your camping fridge?

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I searched a bunch of ways thinking this would be a common topic, but was unsuccessful. So anyway, I am sick to death of the avalanche that occurs in the fridge that occurs whenever I pull something out, especially tall items like the quart water bottles. Trying to get the bottle back where it was is nearly impossible. I also hate the way the fruit gets beat up in the carnage. (I have an Engel 40 quart BTW.)

A friend suggested six-pack (bottled beer) holders, and I can see how that would be helpful for beverage cans, bottles, and things like condiments, although not the most space efficient. What other ideas and ways to subdivide the fridge basket have you guys come up with?

I was looking at something like this as a possibility: https://www.amazon.com/mDesign-Stor...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XWDV47D8BX8WSJMNW1S9

Last edited:

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I feel the pain, I have the same problem (Waeco CF-80, basket is divided into 3 sections).

1. For things that go in and out frequently I don't put anything on top of them to fall down into their spots. Jug of milk, OJ, growler of beer, etc they fit side by side each other with large unused bottles of water surrounded if not all the space it taken. Usually this means I have about 4-5 in of empty headspace above them.
2. Another section of the basket is dedicated to things I don't mind avalancheing down like water bottles I'll drink and cans of soda.
3. I found I had a large tupperware that fit perfectly in the headspace above the items in #1. All the loose items go in there to keep them from rattling around or falling to the bottom.
4. The thing I'm proud I came up with was using a Plano tackle box filled with condiments to act as my "Refrigerator door" holding ketchup, mustard, mayo, so I don't even have to carry bottles of that stuff. It just floats on top of wherever there's space.
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...D-more-variety-with-your-food?highlight=plano
5. I've tried to group ingredients for each meal into it's own gallon freezer bag that gets packed into the 3rd section. When I cook I grab the bag for that meal and have all I need (except for a few things that get used in multiple meals like butter). Even if a few loose items fall into there I can easily sort through the stuff since it's the only thing outside a bag. The bags double as storage for leftover ingredients to add to later meals or garbage bags to seal smelly food scraps. Can't have too many spare ziplock bags on a trip.

Utah200

Adventurer
Just tried to resolve this with a 60L Twin National Luna. It has 5 internal baskets that we took with us to The Container Store to try and find the best combo of smaller lockable top plastic food containers that would give us the most efficient options to pack the fridge. Next trip departs Friday so I guess we'll find out how well it all works soon enough.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
That basket I linked in my first post won't work, at least not in my 40 quart fridge, it is too long. My fridge basket is only 14"x10", and almost 14" deep, with no dividers. What I ideally would want is some sort of divider than clamps across the basket. The search goes on...

I think I am going to rely on packets for some condiments, I don't use them all that much anyway. Mustard and mayo are about it for me, don't use ketchup much.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Wow, I just stumbled across some NEW products in Australia (where Engel is based) that I haven't seen before...I think my refrigerator-related prayers have been answered!

Here is a basket that hangs across the top of the main basket in my fridge http://www.engelaustralia.com.au/products_details.asp?productid=21609

And here is a hanging bottle holder http://www.engelaustralia.com.au/products_details.asp?productid=21532

This is freeking perfect... won't solve everything but will help a LOT. I have looked for stuff like this before but they only had a hanging basket for some other models... but the bottle holder is entirely new to me.

Now I just need to figure out how to get them from Oz. Engel's US website doesn't list them, at least not yet, but I have sent them an inquiry.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
tupperware
wire baskets from Goodwill or Container Store
Sheets of Kydex cut with slots to interface with basket sides
I mix and match all of the above depending on trip to keep things sane in my ARB 63

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I searched a bunch of ways thinking this would be a common topic, but was unsuccessful. So anyway, I am sick to death of the avalanche that occurs in the fridge that occurs whenever I pull something out, especially tall items like the quart water bottles. Trying to get the bottle back where it was is nearly impossible. I also hate the way the fruit gets beat up in the carnage. (I have an Engel 40 quart BTW.)

A friend suggested six-pack (bottled beer) holders, and I can see how that would be helpful for beverage cans, bottles, and things like condiments, although not the most space efficient. What other ideas and ways to subdivide the fridge basket have you guys come up with?

I was looking at something like this as a possibility: https://www.amazon.com/mDesign-Stor...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XWDV47D8BX8WSJMNW1S9
Simple fix. Only put beer in it.

stingray1300

Explorer
Simple fix. Only put beer in it.
And the great thing is, that a lot of premium beer producers are putting their beers in cans, which stack better and no fear of breakage. I was so happy when Heretic Brewing started putting their Evil Cousin in cans! But seriously, we always pack the ARB 37qt pretty tightly. We don't keep water in there, we carry 12 gallons of drinking water, so only 2-qt bottles in the doors of the truck. Water doesn't have to be cold, but beer sure does. Space is too valuable not to fill it with beer and good food! :sombrero: Just wish we had a better solution for carrying ice for cocktails-n-such. (12vdc ice maker???)

SnoViking

Adventurer
I picked up some blank yard signs at Lowes that is made of plastic corrugated sheets. I cut them into the length and width of my fridge and cut half slots through the top of one and the bottom of the other. This way I can slide in dividers when I need them and pull them out when I don't. I have two running down the sides and a few pieces to segregate the front to back. It's nice and quick, easily changeable and was pretty cheap. I dont think I paid more than $12 for two sheets.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Use an inverter and a 120vac ice maker. Available in a host of sizes.
I have a icemaker I had planed on using with genset or shore power in my camper. I had thought about instead of a 12/115 fridge just reuse the water make ice and refill, pretty simple really and keeps it plenty cold.
Kevin

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
I picked up some blank yard signs at Lowes that is made of plastic corrugated sheets. I cut them into the length and width of my fridge and cut half slots through the top of one and the bottom of the other. This way I can slide in dividers when I need them and pull them out when I don't. I have two running down the sides and a few pieces to segregate the front to back. It's nice and quick, easily changeable and was pretty cheap. I dont think I paid more than $12 for two sheets.

That's smart! This way you can partition off small items on one side. How about using a single piece of styrofoam as a divider, wedged in solidly wherever you want it? My pet peeve is the same as the OP's: take out the milk carton, everything else falls to the bottom, and cold is lost while you repack everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier