How do people wash their greasy pans?

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have nonstick pans so cleanup is relatively easy. I stopped using paper towels and now use the blue shop towels, they are much more sturdy and last much longer, even when wet.

86scotty

Cynic
This is not ideal for really messy dishes but it is a great hack a fellow traveler shared with me years ago that makes dishes a breeze with maximum water conservation. Get a 1 gallon hand pump sprayer (garden section at any box store). You'll be amazed at how much you can clean with such little water.

I also like these for hand washing and quick cleanup of lots of other things as well. If we are in bear country of course we don't let anything hit the ground but it most other places we can walk out in the weeds from camp and quickly clean all dishes with one of these in practically a matter of seconds.

Our full dish kit has been reduced to pump sprayer, sponge, soap and towel.

Last edited:

krick3tt

Adventurer
That link just leads to HF site, no lead to the thing you are talking about.
Is there a particular heading it would be under?

ITTOG

Stainless steel, regular steel (like a wok), or cast iron cookware and one of these. Clean using almost no water and then wipe clean with a paper towel or oiled paper towel or reusable washable towel.

You can get pretty good at using almost no water and if worried about bears and have so little left to just dump in the garbage or just bury it in a hole away from camp if you can't burn it.

I love my chainmail. There isn't anything better for cast iron.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
If no dog, wipe with napkins, trash the napkins, final hot water rinse and dump water into deep little drain divot in center of nearest firepit.

Spray firepit with bear spray.

Done

86scotty

Cynic

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles