How do people wash their greasy pans?

Johncmng

How do people wash their greasy pans and dishes? What do you do with dirty water? I like to cook bacon and sausages for breakfast, but there is no easy way for me to get the iron skillet clean from the grease. I pour the extra grease into the fire, but I cannot do it with the greasy water.

jadmt

ignore button user
wipe your dishes down with a paper towel before washing or do like we do and use paper plates....I don't use a skillet I use a blackstone grill and it has a grease drawer and I just put a paper towel wadded up in the grease drawer and no greasy mess. burn the paper towel or throw it in the trash.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
wipe your dishes down with a paper towel before washing or do like we do and use paper plates....I don't use a skillet I use a blackstone grill and it has a grease drawer and I just put a paper towel wadded up in the grease drawer and no greasy mess. burn the paper towel or throw it in the trash.

This......paper towels are your best friend with greasy pots, pans, plates. I can get them 90% clean before washing them (minus the cast iron).

billiebob

My diet has changed so this is not an issue but when it was, I washed with hot water and Sunlight detergent and dumped it all into the fire pit before lighting a fire... or while it was burning it one was lit. I never used paper towels. Just a scrubber and wash cloth, kept in a ziplock bag.

Alloy

During the fire ban people where pouring their dishwater in the fire pits.

At night bears would come in and claw at them so plastic bags were put over the fire pits.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I dump the soapy water residue into the fire, scrub dry with paper towel, and toss that into the fire also, or trash bag if no fire zone, and the water somewhere just out of reach of my dog’s camp site leash.

pith helmet

As much as I like to cook and eat, I tend to stay away from ‘real cooking’ while camping, opting for more meatless or instant options. Everything tastes better outside anyway, right?
However, whatever I cook while camping, the pot gets a good coating of cooking spray first, even if Teflon coated. Then just heat a minimal amount of water in the pan, add a drop of soap or two and scrub it out.

For me, I try to keep it real simple and QUICK. Non stick cookware (T-Fal titanium from Costco will actually give you a pretty good sear on your steaks and chops), then wipe with light blue disposable shop towel, Dawn Platinum Powerwash spray, wipe again, then quick rinse In a shallow collapsible bucket/tray. Paper plates for me, also.

roving1

Stainless steel, regular steel (like a wok), or cast iron cookware and one of these. Clean using almost no water and then wipe clean with a paper towel or oiled paper towel or reusable washable towel.

You can get pretty good at using almost no water and if worried about bears and have so little left to just dump in the garbage or just bury it in a hole away from camp if you can't burn it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier