How do I start...

Lykos

Super Trucker
I live in Roanoke VA and am under the impression that there is some decent fly fishing to be had in my area.

I took an Orvis fly fishing seminar a few years ago. Soon thereafter I met a cute dental hygenist/ fly fishing guide on a dating site who took me out on the Smith River for an afternoon. Never really heard from her again but I liked the fishing. Geeze this sounds like a Brad Paisley song. Anyway, I'm lost as to how to get into the hobby in such a way that I'll enjoy it.

Any advice? Suggestions? Favorite Brad Paisley song?

MLu

Adventurer
I have never fly fished, but I do know that there is a very fine line between fly fishing, and just standing in the middle of a river dressed like a gimp. That's all the advice I can offer, sorry.

CSG

Explorer
See if you have a local club or pony up and hire a guide. I learned through trial and error (mostly error) and read a lot of books, watched a lot of videos, and practiced casting where I could. The trick is to be able to read the water you're fishing and get a sense of what flies work when and where in the water. It's a trick I'm still trying to learn after doing this on and off for almost 30 years. Honestly, light spinning tackle is a LOT easier and cheaper but it's so working class... ;)

stevec

Adventurer
If it's been a few years, it would be a good idea to take the free Orvis 101 (or similar) class again.

Then do as CSG said and find a club or fishing buddy who knows the local water, or hire a guide. A guide is a great asset even for experienced fishermen on water they haven't fished before, as a guide will know how and where to fish a body of water at a given time of year.

Then find another girl who likes fishing and sing her a Whiskey Lullaby. :elkgrin:

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Hire a guide, or go on the fly fishing forum on Reddit and ask around. BUt seriously, hire a guide, they're totally worth it

chaosinwest

Go with someone who knows what they are doing or follow the other suggestions of hiring a guide....Your learning curve will be much shorter and you won't pick up bad habits. There is some great fishing near Roanoke. Don't buy gear for now until you know what you want.
Just took some neighbors fishing and got a first timer on a fish. Lots of praying that they will catch something but totally worth it.

Lykos

Super Trucker
I see that hiring a guide seems to be the thing I can definitely do that.

Thanks guys!

I’m very late to the discussion but figured I would throw my 2 cents in as well.

Don’t waste your money on a guide, unless the guide is a certified casting instructor. The skills of a guide are very different than those of an instructor. A guide can be a good instructor but it is not always the case, more often I think it is the exception.

Look for a local fly shop in your area and go talk with the guys who work there. Explain that you are really looking to learn to cast - then fish. Again, two different skill sets. If you learn how to cast properly from the beginning you will save yourself many, many hours of unlearning bad habits.

Explorerinil

Observer
I watched videos on YouTube, there are tons of videos about fly fishing and the basics. I started reading allot, bought some used gear and a new sage rod and reel. That’s how I got started.

s.e.charles

I live in Roanoke VA and am under the impression that there is some decent fly fishing to be had in my area.

I took an Orvis fly fishing seminar a few years ago. Soon thereafter I met a cute dental hygenist/ fly fishing guide on a dating site who took me out on the Smith River for an afternoon. Never really heard from her again but I liked the fishing. Geeze this sounds like a Brad Paisley song. Anyway, I'm lost as to how to get into the hobby in such a way that I'll enjoy it.

Any advice? Suggestions? Favorite Brad Paisley song?

floss more often?

SoTxAg06

Also way late to the discussion, but look up your local trout unlimited club. The New River Valley chapter is very active. I was a member when I livers in Blacksburg, and still receive their emails.

There is some excellent small stream trout fishing around Blacksburg, and small mouth bass fly fishing in the New River.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles