How do I get 240v from batteries and an inverter

wirenut

Adventurer
You cannot stack inverter outputs! There is no way to control the frequency and insure that they are always in phase with each other.

You absolutely can stack inverters. You just have to have a model that is designed for it. I don't think the OP's inveter is so he would need to buy 2 120v inverters that will stack. Outback FX series will. The older Xantrex and Trace DR and SW series will do it too. Also the Magnum MS4024.

The only two options for 240v for an inverter are a transformer or 240v inverter output. You can get a 240v inverter or just stack two compatible 120v units. Outback, Xantrex, and Magnum all make very nice 240v output inverters. However, it's probably less expensive to keep the one you have and add an autotransformer. Outbacks should work fine. It's heavy but so are batteries and inverters.
Heat is heat. You can't use less electricity to get the same amount of heat no matter what type of cook top you use. Cooking with electricity will take lots of battery power.

Healeyjet

Explorer
It looks like we will be going with the Outback 120v-240v autotransformer. Just have to figure out the wiring now.
Ward

wirenut

Adventurer
I hope you ordered the autotransformer with the enclosure. It has a built in fan and circuit breaker. Wiring is pretty simple, just black and red (hot), neutral, and ground.

verdesardog

Explorer
You absolutely can stack inverters. You just have to have a model that is designed for it. I don't think the OP's inveter is so he would need to buy 2 120v inverters that will stack. Outback FX series will. The older Xantrex and Trace DR and SW series will do it too. Also the Magnum MS4024.

The only two options for 240v for an inverter are a transformer or 240v inverter output. You can get a 240v inverter or just stack two compatible 120v units. Outback, Xantrex, and Magnum all make very nice 240v output inverters. However, it's probably less expensive to keep the one you have and add an autotransformer. Outbacks should work fine. It's heavy but so are batteries and inverters.
Heat is heat. You can't use less electricity to get the same amount of heat no matter what type of cook top you use. Cooking with electricity will take lots of battery power.

Well of course if it's designed to be connected in series then it will work. 99% of them are not designed for it which is why I stated it will not work. Some dummy would have tried it with a non compatible set and fried the works. Stacked??? what kind of technical jargon is that? Has no meaning in the electronic world. Stacked to me means placing one unit on top of another.

Healeyjet

Explorer
We will be purchasing the Outback Power PSX-240 Autotransformer in the enclosure with the temperature activated cooling fan.

Thanks for all of the help everyone!!!

Ward

chromisdesigns

Adventurer
Well of course if it's designed to be connected in series then it will work. 99% of them are not designed for it which is why I stated it will not work. Some dummy would have tried it with a non compatible set and fried the works. Stacked??? what kind of technical jargon is that? Has no meaning in the electronic world. Stacked to me means placing one unit on top of another.

Commonly done in the pro audio amplification world. You realize that an inverter is simply a specialized audio amplifier operating in constant voltage mode? Much cheaper to stack amps (and that IS the proper term) than build a 10 KW audio amp -- the power semiconductors alone would cost a fortune.

verdesardog

Explorer
That's what's wrong wit the term "stacking" parallel or series? To get 220 you need to connect them in series. An inverter is much more complicated that an amplifier. Sure there are some cheap simple ones but they don't put out pure sine waves which is what would be needed to use with a step up transformer.
Saying stacking is for people that don't know the real terms.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Would something like this help? https://www.emarineinc.com/Magnum-ME-SSI-Series-Stacking-Interface-Kit-for-Magnum-MS4024

Depending on your loads, you might simply use two inverters like I do. I have a 2800w unit for the AC, microwave, and induction cook top and a 300w unit for other loads. If you have no other big 220v loads, you could do the same thing, only have the large one a 220v model and the small one a 110v mode. (The good news being that the 220v model would not have to be as large.)

wirenut

Adventurer
Stacking is the term used by all of the manufactures who make inverters with this feature. It's in all their manuals. All their tech support guys use the term. It is the correct term.

verdesardog

Explorer
Stacking is the term used by all of the manufactures who make inverters with this feature. It's in all their manuals. All their tech support guys use the term. It is the correct term.

Just because some company uses a common layman's word for their marketing hype does not make it in any way a real technical term.
Call me an old dinosaur, I learned electronics using vacuum tubes in the 70's and have kept up with most of the technical innovations. (20 year US Navy electronic tech including NASA certified micro miniature repair) Show me a technical reference to stacking used in the way you describe in an engineering publication and I will say you are correct.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles