How Do I Clean Scepter MFC?

rarecj8

Observer
Am happy to obtain 4 green/OD (diesel) Scepters. Took delivery of the viton gaskets because will run gasoline. life is good. Rinsed them out with the water hose, give a good shake, dry out, filled up with gas and go. when transferring fuel from can to tank, via clear siphon hose, ******??!! bits and chunks of brown filmy matter. Grab flashlight and look inside to see all sorts of brown debris floating around along bottom of can, some bits 1/2 inch in length. So life is not so good.

Suggestions to properly and completely clean the interior? This is the reason I ditched all the metal cans after years of dealing with rust particles, etc. The new problem looks like some film that is a remnant from diesel use? or ??

thinking a carton of BBs and some gas to slosh/shake around to clean or ??? + pressure washer?

All ideas and suggestions appreciated.

tnx

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
The petrols cleaning off the diesel residue

use a filter in your line untill its all gone !

4xdog

Explorer
Use SuperClean -- the purple stuff -- it's a serious cleaner. Careful on painted or some plated surfaces.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Empty the can, flush with soapy water to remove excess fuel, then mix 1 part vinegar with 3 parts water(1 gallon vinegar to 3 gallons water) and let it sit a few days. Then shake it up, empty it, and rinse thoroughly.

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
Get a mr funnel filter. That way you can save the gas. It will filter out the chunks and any water. Someone near your will have one. It does filter sort of slowly, but it is worth it to me.

Last edited:

rarecj8

Observer
Get a mr funnel filter. That way you can save the gas. It will filter out the chunks and any water. Someone near your will have one. It does filter sort of slowly, but it is worth it to me.

yep, have one and use it all the time. but for what its worth, i need to properly clean the film from inside the cans. a buddy suggested the above mixes, then strap to rig and go for a bouncy ride, then drain/filter and repeat as necessary until its clean inside. then i will only fill with the filter as well.

Wyowanderer

Explorer
A couple pounds of playground sand and enough water to make a slurry, shake shake shake, then a thorough rinse. If it still isn't out, use peagravel.

Kentuckyshiner

Ok so you started with diesel fuel and are now putting gas in the cans. You do not repeat do not want water in your fuel. Assuming its the 20l can, put about a half gallon of kerosene and shake throughly. Dispose of properly. And repeat if needed. This should take care of the issue.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Quart of gas and a carton of BBs works. When you're done you pour it off into another can thru a house painting paper cone filter.

Hnoroian

Observer
BB's over sand, but a foot or two of a chain link can be magical, then shake rattle and roll. Biodegradable cleaner preferably over anything else, just clean real good afterwards and make sure it is bone dry before adding any other fuel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles