How do I auto switch between vehicle and solar for charging an Ecoflow Delta?

Hi everyone! This is my first post here. Looks like lots of great content but, I specifically joined to ask this question. I currently run my Dometic CFX50 from my Ecoflow Delta and keep the Ecoflow DC input plugged in to a switched 12v socket in my 2016 Ram 2500. I would like to add a 160w solar panel to my cargo rack to provide additional charging when the truck is off. Is there a way to set this up so I don't have to do anything and the PV panel is automatically switched when the truck power kicks off?

Thanks,

Bob

You don't have to do anything special . The 2 charging systems will happily coexist.

Okay...but...there's only one DC input on the Ecoflow. Do I just run both power sources to a block and connect it to the Ecoflow? I've read that the vehicle ground and the PV ground cannot be the same. Do I need any hardware to make this work?

Bob

john61ct

Adventurer
The battery negative should be grounded to the vehicle negative.

The solar and alternator inputs can be active concurrently.

Best to use Anderson or other robust connections designed to handle high amps rates throughout, not ciggie ports.

So, just to be clear, because I really don't want to destroy the Ecoflow; I can connect both the vehicle 12v positive and the PV panel positive to the same input lug on my auxiliary fuse block (which I have on order) and connect the negative from each to my chassis ground on the same block, then I can simply run a fused circuit out to the ecoflow?

Bob

john61ct

Adventurer
Anyone doing a solar setup from scratch should just avoid "positive ground" gear

IRL they are rarely seen anyway

FlipperFla

With my system the switched output from the solar controller goes to a Blue Seas distribution block, positive to the positive buss and negative to the negative buss which is also goes to the trucks ground. Also connected to the distribution block is a Xantrex 20A Marine Charger that is connected to the positive and negative battery posts on the Blue Seas block and aux batteries. Also connected on the positive lug on the block is a Blue Seas Auto Charging Relay that connects to the trucks alternator. All the DC accessories are connected to the block. The Xantrex charger and controller are are both ignition protected. There is a blocking diode in controllers so the power dosent backfeed into the panels at night and discharge your batteries. Shore Power and charger are always turned off before I fire the engine. I have left the panel on the same time the alt. was charging the batteries and the same time the 20A charger was on with no issues so it dosent really matter if I turn the controller/solar switch off or not. Which I have forgotten to do many times.

So, I got this all hooked up as discussed and everything works as it should...except!! The 12v charging input on the Ecoflow Delta has a 10amp limit and it keeps pulling more and resetting when it has access to the switched 12v supply from the truck. Is there a simple (or any) way to limit the line to 10amps?

Bob

So, I got this all hooked up as discussed and everything works as it should...except!! The 12v charging input on the Ecoflow Delta has a 10amp limit and it keeps pulling more and resetting when it has access to the switched 12v supply from the truck. Is there a simple (or any) way to limit the line to 10amps?

Bob

Apparently, this whole reset thing is a function of the solar input and I find it interesting that none of the dozen or so reviews I watched before purchasing the Ecotech Delta mention this as a problem when charging from a automotive 12v source. Probably because they are paid reviewers and not actual field users. I just ordered this to see if I can limit the line source to 10a. I'm not an electronics guy so, I could totally be off base here but, for twenty bucks, it seems worth a shot.

RangerTaz

Apparently, this whole reset thing is a function of the solar input and I find it interesting that none of the dozen or so reviews I watched before purchasing the Ecotech Delta mention this as a problem when charging from a automotive 12v source. Probably because they are paid reviewers and not actual field users. I just ordered this to see if I can limit the line source to 10a. I'm not an electronics guy so, I could totally be off base here but, for twenty bucks, it seems worth a shot.

Hi Bob - did you figure this out? I’m planning to do the same with my Ecoflow River Pro. I found an XT60 splitter cable on Amazon that will handle the car charger and solar inputs. Was thinking about putting a blocking diode on the solar cable to prevent any strange current flowing back through the panel. Cheers, Alex

vegaro

I actually did the same as you @RangerTaz . I tried it and when both sources are connected (car 12v plus solar), ecoflow displays less input wattage. My assumption is what you said and the current flows to the panels instead. Did you figure manage to fix it with the blocking diode?

john61ct

Adventurer

Bob
What a horrible design!

A DC-DC converter with adjustable current output is what you need,

can be whatever wide range input, but the output should closely match what your powerpak is looking for.

Current Limiting output is the key feature you're looking for. Not current protection, but the ability to actually regulate the current when Load is pulling more than desired.

Cheap chinese, get a unit that they clain can put out 40+ amps in order for it to handle 10A easily.

A Sterling B2B charger will do if they make a 20A unit can be de-rated by half

and will be very valuable for many uses long after you've tossed that other trash.

RangerTaz

I actually did the same as you @RangerTaz . I tried it and when both sources are connected (car 12v plus solar), ecoflow displays less input wattage. My assumption is what you said and the current flows to the panels instead. Did you figure manage to fix it with the blocking diode?
I did find a blocking diode on Amazon that can clip into the panel circuit, but haven’t had a chance to test it out yet. I’m not sure when I’ll be back out in the wild to evaluate it, but I’ll report back when I do!

vegaro

I did find a blocking diode on Amazon that can clip into the panel circuit, but haven’t had a chance to test it out yet. I’m not sure when I’ll be back out in the wild to evaluate it, but I’ll report back when I do!

Did it work? Also which size did you get? I see there are different amperage options, but I’m not sure how to size it…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94