How did you build your wood trailer box?

walley_eye

We all see the posts of peoples welded trailer builds, frames and compartments but rarely am I seeing how people are building their wooden expedition boxes.

Expedition 410 has a great build video series. What else is out there?

How did you build yours? How’d you attach it to your frame? Is it modular? What kind of features do you have in it? Are there doors in the back or a tailgate?

What else have you done to make it unique?

Im planning my build and looking for ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tatanka48

just a note here

in the 1930's my grandfather built what he called a CAMPING TRAILER on a Model A front end

the exterior framing was angle iron defining the size n shape

yes there was a tailgate to access 2 drawers(one shorter than the other which was full length)

there was also a side drawer on the front end of the curb side(which defined the length of the 2nd rear drawer)

there was a hinged let down table behind the curbside wheel that had a coleman stove mounted to it

the top was expanded over the wheels providing a location for a reguar set of iron framed springs w/ a doube bed mattress on top

a fitted wax'd canvass tarp covered the bed in transit(a 12' duck/sneak boat rode on the bed) while there was a custom sewn wax'd canvass cabin shaped tent that was set up over the bed for the grandparent's sleeping/privacy/pleasure

from the top center poles a fly was set off the right hand side of the rig w/ side n end curtains to protect from foul weather and underwhich dad his brother and sister slept

having the metal framing made supporting the bed and tent sound and reliable

back then a CAMPING TRIP was tantamount to what many readers of this forum would consider off roading and back country adventure travel

in the 1950's dad n i rebuilt the rig by replacing the wooden n canvass components and adding a front/tongue mounted ice box and the rig kept on keeping on...

i now have the rig behind my shop in need of some major(total) kneading ;-)

this trailer reminds me of a line from a Jimmy Buffett song when he sings about wishing he could "sit on a bed in some motel and listen to the tales it could tell"

T

46flattie

Observer
walley_eye:
Not much I can tell you, there are a lot of ways to build a better mousetrap as they say.....lots of internet surfing in your future for ideas.

tatanka48:
If you have any old pictures of your Grandfather's rig you should start a new thread for us to enjoy!

tatanka48

tatanka48:
If you have any old pictures of your Grandfather's rig you should start a new thread for us to enjoy!

the pictures that were taken back when have mostly been absconded by family members who no longer interact on a friendly plain

they didn't pay nice when my parents and grandparents passed

i would enjoy them also

i'll try to take some pics of what is left when i get out from "under the weather"

T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles