How deep can 4x4 vans get you? Beginner questions...

DzlToy

Explorer
Lovetheworld said:
With a short wheel base and tyres like that, why wouldn't it get to the same places as a truck?

While I am not familiar with that Astro van build, pictures can be quite misleading. A 32" or 33" tire looks massive on an Astro van, where a 37" tire will fit on a modern full-size pickup with little to no work and 40s fit with very little work. I am not suggesting that you need a 40" tire, just that there are many differences between the capability of the AWD Astro and a modern, 4WD pickup. A short wheelbase (Astro = 109" IIRC) can be a hindrance or a help. The same is true for a long wheelbase pickup, which climbs better, but has a poorer turning radius and breakover.

Articulation will be quite poor on both, without some suspension work. Keeping your tires on the dirt is job number one in getting you into, or out of the back country. Gearing is another life-saver. I cannot count the number of videos I have watched showing people skidding down a heel, death grip on steering wheel, brakes locked or nearly so, holding on for dear life. The same is true for loose ascents, with the vehicle banging and clanging its way to the top, tearing up the trail along the way, emptying the cabinets onto the floor and scaring the hell out of everyone on board. It sounds dramatic and it is, but it happens quite often. Gain some experience in a safe, off-road environment and learn the limits of your vehicle, your gear and yourself.

Neither an Astro, Sprinter or modern pickup are going to have great gearing for off road work. They are setup for grassy fields and snowy roads. Save yourself some stress, get lower gears and tread lightly, whether that is in an Astro, Sprinter or 4Runner. If you can't easily conquer an obstacle with the vehicle you have, you should not be on that trail, period.

For comparison, a stock JKUR has a crawl ratio of about 84:1. A stock Sprinter has a "crawl ratio" of 24:1, abysmal. This is 2WD high range in a heavy-duty pickup. Being able to control vehicle speed and maintain traction reduce stress on everyone and everything. A 4WD Sprinter (stock) is going to have about 6" - 7" of wheel travel, again terrible. They are made for graded gravel roads and snow, not getting into the back country to your favourite, off-the-beaten-path campsite. A modern pickup or 4WD SUV will have significantly more travel: the Raptor has 13" - 14" and it is not uncommon to see twice that in a mildly modified 4Runner. This pays dividends in every way, creates a more pleasant trip for everyone and reduces or eliminates trail and vehicle damage.

Last edited:

Deshet

Adventurer

Look at post number 3 and 13 here.
This a stock 2wd ambulance.

Sportsmobile had some entry level 4x4 van setups and some highly capable vans also. A locker, winch, and a good driver can get you very far.

Not sure if you are looking at old or new.
It seems that the Ford transit AWD is the more reliable choice over the 4x4 sprinter.

AWD astro is hard to beat for old and small.

AWD express and be converted to 4x4 fairly easily

Ujoint makes a diy kit for all 1992+ eseriers vans. Some of these vans can go where no man has gone before. The sky is the limit.

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I put my van in lots of places many don't think a van can go...
I will say if you do a Transit then go with Quadvan, they are still Ford supported, full warranty and much more focused to real use vs the shuttle van style of Quigley.
I have 33s and regeared to 4.10 which my Ecoboost loves.
Eaton TruTrac front and rear although I am going back to Quadvan this summer to switch the front to an ARB locker.
This is a mild climb, much more interesting stuff done that I just couldn't get a pic of at the time :)
IMG_20200210_095914_948.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior