How can I lift my Fleetwood Cobalt? (more clearance)

JJMAC

Adventurer
I am trying to find a simple way to lift my Fleetwood Cobalt Camper. The family does alot of camping and I would like to put bigger tires on this thing and lift the camper for more clearance.

CAn someone please help me with any ideas?

TimS

Adventurer
In the exact same boat you are. We have a 2008 cobalt and a lift is a must for us. 4x4 junky has done a lift with his with taller spring shackles and added square tubing I believe. I am thinking about adding tubing to the spring locations. I am new to this aspect of the game so my novice ideas may be wrong. I don't know.
May 4x4 junky has some thoughts?

JJMAC

Adventurer
sorry... I am in Denver. Planning a week long rocky trip and need to get bigger tires and clearance in my pup. Hopefully someone on here can link us to a thread on the basics. Been searching for a while now....

jnormandeau

3" lift for Fleetwood Colbalt

I know this is an old posting, but I wanted to get this online for future Google searches on this topic... found a simple solution. The hardest part was locating the extra long U-bolts for the trailer axle....

This is a 2008 model, so the axle was already configured with the spring on top.
If yours is not like this there are kits to do the conversion.

Parts needed:
• 4 – U-bolts - 2-3/8” x 9 ¾ x 7/16” - $40 delivered Ebay: Member id: beattiespring
• 1 - 1. ½ ” x 3” x 12” rectangular steel tubing – $11.62 delivered Amazon “Hot Rolled Steel Rectangular Tubing, ASTM A36, 1-1/2" x 3", 0.12" Wall, 12" Length”
• 2 – 3/8” Bolts and nuts

Note: Will need a new trailer hitch to accommodate 3” lift so the trailer pulls level.
I bought the wheels and rims on eTrailer.com. $112 each delivered.
The reason I did this was so that I could install radial tires on the trailer. They have a rated highway speed of ~80mph. The old 10” tires were simple 6 ply trailer tires and are rated at ~55mph.
Also, have plenty of scrap 2x4s to deal with raising the trailer. I was using a 8” bottle jack.

Attachments

• IMG_4979.jpg
    IMG_4979.jpg
    524.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4980.jpg
    IMG_4980.jpg
    523 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_4981.jpg
    IMG_4981.jpg
    608.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_4978.jpg
    IMG_4978.jpg
    522.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_4977.jpg
    IMG_4977.jpg
    516.9 KB · Views: 69

sn0wrunner

I know this is an old posting, but....
I know that your post is now an old post, but I wanted to see what size tire you were able to fit in there with the 3" block? We just picked up an '07 cobalt yesterday and of course I'm already planning mods. Thank you very much for posting all the detailed info!

jnormandeau

I know that your post is now an old post, but I wanted to see what size tire you were able to fit in there with the 3" block? We just picked up an '07 cobalt yesterday and of course I'm already planning mods. Thank you very much for posting all the detailed info!
Tires are: Provider ST205/75R14 Trailer Tire w/ 14" Silver Mod Wheel - 5 on 4-1/2 - LR C

schmugboy

Observer
Nearly a 5 year delayed response. Impressive. Or, you are into interdimensional time travel, in addition to overlanding.
BTW I found the discussion interesting even though I don't have a fleetwood, but just a Truck Camper.

oswald2615

3" lift for Fleetwood Colbalt

I know this is an old posting, but I wanted to get this online for future Google searches on this topic... found a simple solution. The hardest part was locating the extra long U-bolts for the trailer axle....

This is a 2008 model, so the axle was already configured with the spring on top.
If yours is not like this there are kits to do the conversion.

Parts needed:
• 4 – U-bolts - 2-3/8” x 9 ¾ x 7/16” - $40 delivered Ebay: Member id: beattiespring
• 1 - 1. ½ ” x 3” x 12” rectangular steel tubing – $11.62 delivered Amazon “Hot Rolled Steel Rectangular Tubing, ASTM A36, 1-1/2" x 3", 0.12" Wall, 12" Length”
• 2 – 3/8” Bolts and nuts

Note: Will need a new trailer hitch to accommodate 3” lift so the trailer pulls level.
The reason I did this was so that I could install radial tires on the trailer. They have a rated highway speed of ~80mph. The old 10” tires were simple 6 ply trailer tires and are rated at ~55mph.
Also, have plenty of scrap 2x4s to deal with raising the trailer. I was using a 8” bottle jack.
Hi. Any chance you can post the size tires and wheels that you used? I'm looking to do an easy lift on a Fleetwood Graphite (just a little bigger than the Cobalt) and would like to know what you used. I can't quite tell from the photos. Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz