How big is to big for a tent

overlander

Expedition Leader
If it comes with clowns, elephants, dancing bears and a troop of Italian gymnists, back it down a noch.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
If the weather is nice, I take my 1 man 10x14:) The really big inexpensive tents seem to get flattened by the wind pretty easily.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
No such thing as too big.

RichmondBasin07085.jpg

Just kidding. It all depends on how many folks you are trying to keep dry and comfortable and how long you plan to stay. If you are moving camp fequently, a large tent is a pain. If you are settin up a longer stay base camp, it's nice to have. All depends on how you plan to use it.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
If it takes more people to set it up, tear it down - than can shelter in it, it's too big. I like a wall tent of about 10 X 12 or 14. If you need bigger, get two tents.

My $.02

M

paulj

Expedition Leader
How much space do you have in the car for the packed tent?

How many people do you need to sleep?

How many people are there to set it up?

How big are the typical campsites?

Are you going to just sleep in it, or cook and party as well?

What do you need protection from?
- prying eyes
- rain
- sun
- bugs
- wind
- cold

paulj

maximumrob

Adventurer
Big Daddy Chia said:
How big is too big.

If it ticks you off to set it up in the wind, it's too big. :) There's a lot of wisdom in that...you're outdoors to have fun, not maintain another home!

Lynn

Expedition Leader
We've got a big honkin' Kelty. I think it's a 6-man.

Enough room for the wife and I to put a queen-sized air matress, a 3'x3' table, and still have room to move around.

Once our two girls get a little bigger, there will be room enough for them, too.

kerry

Expedition Leader
One thing that irks me about tent manufacturers is that they assume that tents which sleep more people, need to be taller. I have no idea why they make this assumption. It makes the tent far more vulnerable to wind damage than the typical two person tent. I have a four person tent I bought 12 years ago from a now defunct tent maker which is the same height as a two person. Haven't been able to find any other tent manufacturer capable of avoiding this irrational assumption.

Big Daddy Chia

Adventurer
I need to be able to stand in my tent. i need it to be at least 6 feet tall. I think I will get a 6 perosn tent. Its usally gonna be wife, me and baby but ocasionally other people too.

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
If it's winter, you want the smallest tent that will fit you and the dog. Big tents are cold.

One Arm Steve

Observer
Big Daddy Chia said:
I am looking at a couple multi perosn tents. ONes 18'x16' , ones 14'x10', and ones 17'x9' How big is too big.

I guess it depends on how many people you want to sleep and how comfortable you want to be. I have a 12x12 plus the vestibule. Just enough room for the queen sized bed, a good sized table a couple chairs and the wood stove. Perfect for two and the dog.

y1pdDdNljUws4BEyBxoc4jSgKLteSBQ226ZHV0v7UYXt131gbrBiqcSNyuWEWQFfi4bSq7v4b595Jc

I have five tents from a bivy type one man up to the 12x12. :camping:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94