How Big Can I Go?

Paladin1

Hello all, I sold my Land Cruiser and am now getting serious about a family sized overlander. I'm still new to this so be gentle with me :) . I was looking at the LMTV 6x6, but have read that once you take them out of the US you won't be able to ship it back with the CAT engine, the other engine can't use low sulfur diesel, so now I'm looking at FUSO's.

Since I'm talking family of 5, I need a crew cab, and enough habitat space to get the kids as far away from me as possible (ha). So we are talking big & heavy. Assuming that I start with a crew cab, and converting to 4wd, is it possible to stretch it out, maybe add another axle for 6x6? I realize anything can be done if you have enough money, but trying to keep this somewhat practical to do. Has this been done?

What is the max I could take the platform? Should I be looking something else? For frame of reference, I've rebuilt engines, fabbed up parts, etc. so I can do some of the work myself. and I don't have 300K + to drop on something.

cameronsturgess

we saw a family of 6 in Baja in a Renault ex military vehicle. it was pretty tight quarters but it worked for them. they had spent a year doing it and were going to do a few more. the truck was much bigger than a Fuso. we are building out a fuso and for 2 its tight.. I am sure you get squeeze 5 into it but you may be pushing the weight limit of truck... you'll need a lot of water for that many people. the Renault carried 300 l of water and 400l of diesel..

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Fuso FG series is a medium duty available in the U.S. with 4x4, but as far as I know, no crew cab.

FM series is heavy duty, possibly available with crew cab but no 4x4. A couple were converted to 4x4 some years back by Darrin Fink, but he's passed away and I don't think anyone else has done it.

In the U.S., Peterbilt, Kenworth, Freightliner, International and Sterling can all be had with crew cabs and/or 6x6...you might find one used. Though more likely you'd have to find a 6x6 like a water truck and change the cab or have someone like Weldon do a crew cab conversion.

https://www.mylittlesalesman.com/1992-freightliner-6x6-water-truck-8626011

Water-Trucks-Freightliner-6X6-5537666.jpg

http://www.weldonusa.com/sleepers.php

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Checkout the 2007 Freightliner in my sig line.

So a couple of myths to dispel. Depending on what the conditions were for the auction it is fine to take the S&S lmtv vehicles out of the states and back in again. The CAT engines do have EPA certification on their name plates. But the extra cab is 3 people max. There is no room behind the drivers or passengers seat for anyone else.

If you go with a medium duty rig (class6) you are going to be battling a long snout and wheelbase especially if you go 6 x 6. But take a look at power line trucks. They come up for auction with dual cab configuration and 6x6 sometimes.

Another alternative you may want to checkout is a fire truck. They have the cab you need and weight capacity in a single axle configuration and can be had for reasonable money. Then it’s just a 4x4 conversion.

gait

Explorer
I guess rather than bigger I'd think about how to utilise space. I designed around two people, plus a third for short periods (2 months). If designing for 2 adults + 3 children I'd obviously think differently. Re-usable space with minimum changeover time. Two issues are bed vs living space and how to avoid passing. Also access to storage. One approach I saw, actually with a 14 tonne 6x6 for 2 adults and 2 teenagers, was a double decker hydraulically lifted box, with half the "ground floor" taken up with four motorbikes. Another would be 4x4 plus trailer for extra bedroom / shower or whatever split suited. Useful trick is motorised bed lift - gives back lots of space. Depends where you are and where you want to go as to how much outdoor living is workable.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
If you want good off road capability, stay with 4x4 (IMHO), forward control and have legally usable seats down the back while driving to avoid the need for twin cab which is otherwise a large potential living space wasted.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Paladin1

Thanks for the replies! Sounds like the FUSO may be a limiting chassis. I know it's going to be big, was hoping I could do cab over to compensate, improving turning radius, etc. Lots of international travel planned, so was hoping for a more globally supported vehicle.
I started out looking at the International 4800's, Get the older one with P-pump that can be uprated in power, engine can be rebuilt in chassis and are pretty simple engines. They made a ton of them so parts shouldn't be rare. , so at least in N. America, there's lots of parts.
6x6 is not mandatory, just thinking for as big as it's going to be it may be the way to go.

Paladin1

BTW- I have been lurking over at FentonFire looking at power line, fire trucks and crash trucks. I admit the crash trucks are tempting but I am worried a there a little exotic. I've rebuilt engines, can weld and fab, but only on cars, the big boy trucks are going to be new to me.

From what I've seen so far, it would be 5 figures to convert to 4x4 with lockers. I realize nothing going to cheap but I'm working with a 100K budget spread over 3-4yrs., with me doing a lot of the work. So if I can start with a crewcab/4x4 it would be a huge bonus in time/money.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Maybe consider hammocks in the mix (maybe including in the driving compartment) as sleeping accommodation for the kids?
Every space needs to get maximum use, day and night.
Cheers,
Peter

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I have very limited knowledge of the available vehicles in your location, but here in Australia I have seen numerous exepidition camper builds on trucks like the MAN.
The MAN is a very capable vehicle and physically much larger than the Fuso/Isuzu 6 tonne trucks. There are numerous examples to be found of such builds if you do a quick Google search.

Paladin1

I have very limited knowledge of the available vehicles in your location, but here in Australia I have seen numerous exepidition camper builds on trucks like the MAN.
The MAN is a very capable vehicle and physically much larger than the Fuso/Isuzu 6 tonne trucks. There are numerous examples to be found of such builds if you do a quick Google search.

Would love to build up a MAN, but they are not available here in the states to my knowledge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior