How bad of an idea is this?

Thinman

How bad of an idea is this.....orrrr, is it totally fine?

My coffee game on the road was pissing me off and I got it in my head I want a real coffee maker. I want to run my Nespresso which draws 1250 watts and there's not much getting me off this ledge. I already have a dual battery setup in the Jeep; Genesis setup with 2 group 25s (https://www.genesisoffroad.com/fullriver-group-25).

I had originally tossed a 1000w Renogy Inverter, about 14 feet of 4awg cable and a few Anderson connections at the problem....

Womp-womp...

It actually worked the first time....then the Renogy just got angry and beeped...and beeped and beeped. It never actually tripped. Just beeped me to death. Ok, out with the 1000w for the 1250w job...

In with the 2000w Renogy!

lol, this thing is huge. It's not the wall mount box, but should be....and it is having nothing to do with this 14' of 4awg ****************. Trips as soon as I turn on the Nespresso. I connected it under the hood using the poor mans 3' "2 awg" cable they provided (2x 4awg wires shoved in a 2awg connector) and presto magic...it's happy.

So question is....have I lost it? I'm getting a little stage fright about running 14' of 1/0 back to a 2000w beast in the back of my Jeep. I still plan on manual disconnect with Anderson connectors behind the unit as well as under the hood, as well as a 200a breaker, but is it just a little much for my little group 25 house battery?

I don't plan on opening shop on the trail, but I'll hit the button on it twice for a double-shot every time and then I guess my wife can have some too. :rolleyes:

"cray cray" or "can you make me a cup?"

Last edited:

WOODY2

Adventurer
How bad of an idea is this.....orrrr, is it totally fine?

My coffee game on the road was pissing me off and I got it in my head I want a real coffee maker. I want to run my Nespresso which draws 1250 watts and there's not much getting me off this ledge. I already have a dual battery setup in the Jeep; Genesis setup with 2 group 25s (https://www.genesisoffroad.com/fullriver-group-25).

I had originally tossed a 1000w Renogy Inverter, about 14 feet of 4awg cable and a few Anderson connections at the problem....

Womp-womp...

It actually worked the first time....then the Renogy just got angry and beeped...and beeped and beeped. It never actually tripped. Just beeped me to death. Ok, out with the 1000w for the 1250w job...

In with the 2000w Renogy!

lol, this thing is huge. It's not the wall mount box, but should be....and it is having nothing to do with this 14' of 4awg ****************. Trips as soon as I turn on the Nespresso. I connected it under the hood using the poor mans 3' "2 awg" cable they provided (2x 4awg wires shoved in a 2awg connector) and presto magic...it's happy.

So question is....have I lost it? I'm getting a little stage fright about running 14' of 1/0 back to a 2000w beast in the back of my Jeep. I still plan on manual disconnect with Anderson connectors behind the unit as well as under the hood, as well as a 200a breaker, but is it just a little much for my little group 25 house battery?

I don't plan on opening shop on the trail, but I'll hit the button on it twice for a double-shot every time and then I guess my wife can have some too. :rolleyes:

"cray cray" or "can you make me a cup?"
Yes you are cray cray

Thinman

I think it's just the cable length freaking me out. Most do a nice tiddy setup with the batteries closer to the units and short efficient cables.

I could run it off the existing 200a solenoid for the winch but didn't want to start the Jeep to run it (switch for winch is ignition triggered)

WOODY2

Adventurer
Sounds like a major undertaking for 4 or 5 minutes once a day in the morning? Simpler to just drink one of those double caffeine drinks and be on your way.

Superduty

Adventurer
I think it's just the cable length freaking me out. Most do a nice tiddy setup with the batteries closer to the units and short efficient cables.

I could run it off the existing 200a solenoid for the winch but didn't want to start the Jeep to run it (switch for winch is ignition triggered)

Can you mount the inverter under the hood or close to the battery then run a 110v extension cord when you want coffee?

Have you tried the 1000w inverter with the engine running? Sometimes that will do the trick with inverters. It seems some don't like running off batteries only.

Assuming the winch solenoid was not ignition triggered what benefit would there be to running it off there? shorter run?

Thinman

Can you mount the inverter under the hood or close to the battery then run a 110v extension cord when you want coffee?

Have you tried the 1000w inverter with the engine running? Sometimes that will do the trick with inverters. It seems some don't like running off batteries only.

Assuming the winch solenoid was not ignition triggered what benefit would there be to running it off there? shorter run?

I figured the inverter would not like the heat from under the hood. Plus not sure I have a spot for it there, but this idea did cross my mind. Water probably the biggest problem under the hood though though.

Good point on the solenoid. Not likely much benefit there other than being able to switch control it. Breaker more important.

Thinman

Sounds like a major undertaking for 4 or 5 minutes once a day in the morning? Simpler to just drink one of those double caffeine drinks and be on your way.

this is getting crazy now! do you even coffee bro? :sneaky: these damn little nespresso machines are the 13th step :ROFLMAO:

Charles R

Adventurer
For my main power cable to to the rear, I ran a #1 gauge welding cable. That goes from my main battery, to a fuse block in the back. At the time I started building, I was already dealing with a voltage drop hassle with my fridge. So that's mainly where the plan for a large cable came from. I use a simple Blue Sea MRBF fuse at the battery.

Anyway, welding cable is very flexible, while having good durable insulation. And it comes in many gauges.

please forgive the giant pics!

71tGbuaxodL._AC_SL1423_.jpg

82075739_2628837387207446_7006821380545052672_n.jpg

82332763_2628837180540800_5329758821801787392_n.jpg

81924800_2628837413874110_7394962054735462400_n.jpg

roving1

I just bring a Bialetti and a pocket rocket. Takes a few minutes longer, but simple and a good Americano.

This all day. Plus you can use every heat source under the sun from a campfire to an exhaust manifold.

There is no comfort like knowing that even in the apocalypse as the EMP blast has wiped out everything on the planet and the alien hordes are invading I can still make coffee.

In all seriousness I had a 2000 watt inverter in my Freightliner when I was in the transport biz and even with a stack of truck batteries and a huge alternator that thing was just rough on everything. I just wound up using it for quick microwave nuking and anything that required boiling water or cooking just used a jet boil as it was seriously not any slower. This predated all the great coffee machines that exist now but I don't think I will ever go back to heavy invertor use in a vehicle.

WOODY2

Adventurer
this is getting crazy now! do you even coffee bro? :sneaky: these damn little nespresso machines are the 13th step :ROFLMAO:
Actually I don't. Diet Coke fires me up 24/7. Quick,easy and no cleanup or special prep stuff to haul around. Seems as though someone is having some type of coffee issue?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz