How are you guys handling yourselves in strange circumstances off the grid?

rruff

Explorer
Flawed or not you can easily find a study that supports spray or gun.

Spray is for deterring bears that hanging around, looking for food, too close for comfort. This describes the great majority of encounters. Spray is great for giving the bears some negative feedback regarding humans, encouraging them to keep their distance. In the studies I've seen, yelling and throwing rocks at bears works even better than spray! Probably best to use both of those...

If a bear is in "I'm gonna kill you" mode, the spray won't stop it. Grizzlies who "attack" are usually just bluffing and veer off at the last second. That's why the "studies" saying that spray stopped a charging grizzly are bogus... they were going to stop anyway. There is no way in hell any animal in a committed attack is going to be stopped by pepper spray... that goes for bears, dogs, humans, etc. Lethal force is the only thing that will stop them.

rruff

Explorer
Here’s one guy’s solution…building a big ugly Fuso camper, covered with camo….sez it scares people away from his campsites ?. He’s selling it and here’s part of his ad:

“This rig isn't luxury, it is big, loud, ugly and ready for your life of dispersed camping. One of the best thing about it, when people see it parked in the middle of the desert or forest they tend to not come camp right next to you. Its abrasive, its sketchy, it screams "give me space"

View attachment 710484

Some stylistic ideas that scream a bit louder... I like the spike theme in the lower right.

You might get more unwanted attention from cops, though...

TrucksMAIN.jpg

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Some stylistic ideas that scream a bit louder... I like the spike theme in the lower right.

You might get more unwanted attention from cops, though...

TrucksMAIN.jpg
I'd forget how high up I was and I'd fall to the ground getting out of the gigahorse. (top right)

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I love how many directions this thread has gone. A few stories, fear mongering UK dudes, Mr. I am always right 2A guy, Bear Spray and a scary Fuso for sale.

Gotta Love EP.

On a side note- I was at a work function for my wifes job and I met a fellow who was on the team who built all the mad max vehicles from the recent movie. Interesting fellow. 100% a job I would do.

DieselRanger

Side country - ...This to me is the most dangerous kind of area - people of questionable character and judgment can get to it easily, but it's far enough outside of civilized areas that they feel they can get away with anything....

To wit:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
To wit:

Drunks in the mountains are the worst. Combination of booze, altitude, low hydration and mob mentality can create a very unstable situation. (Instant Idiot = Just Add Alcohol)

15 + years ago my wife and I were exploring Colorado passes in our land cruiser (drove out from Kansas City). While still in the trees, on a narrow shelf trail, on a pass trail North of Leadville, we came across a suburban with 4 drunks in it. The trail was too narrow to drive past at that point so I agreed to back-up to a small pullout on the dropside and let the suburban inch by on the wall side. In order to do this my wife had to get out and spot me so I didn't drive it off the cliff. As the suburban went by the drunks started cat calling to my wife.........grrrrrrr. The driver also got a little throttle happy and hit the wall with the passenger side of the suburban causing a hell of a scrapping dent down the side. Seeing how this may play out I got my wife in the LC and we headed out.

Problem. We reached the summit and foundout the pass was closed and had to come back down the same trail. Precautions had already been taken before we hit the trail so I was ready on the way down and as we hit the trailhead I saw the suburban in the parking lot with all the guys standing by it looking at the damage....drinking again. Needless to say I just drove by as they yelled at us. I spent the next couple hours putting distance between us before we camped.

25 + years of dealing with disagreeable people helped out.

Be safe.

79AA1696-AA8D-436B-8E70-2A2D6C7F9FE1.jpeg

Last edited:

The_Squid

Sounds like distinctly American problems... Canada is very safe and there's no need to be scared when out in the woods. See some drunks? Move on down the road. We have the most dense cougar population in N. America here... never see them, except in some backyards where they might pick off the odd dog. No need for any firepower, except in rare circumstances while in grizzly country.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
We have the most dense cougar population in N. America here... never see them, except in some backyards where they might pick off the odd dog. No need for any firepower, except in rare circumstances while in grizzly country.

Speaking of grizz, we had our first 2022 grizzly attack and fatality about 3 weeks ago in the US (outside of Alaska) when a shed hunter hiking in southern Montana got killed by a bear just north of Yellowstone NP

DieselRanger

Sounds like distinctly American problems... Canada is very safe and there's no need to be scared when out in the woods. See some drunks? Move on down the road. We have the most dense cougar population in N. America here... never see them, except in some backyards where they might pick off the odd dog. No need for any firepower, except in rare circumstances while in grizzly country.
Highway of Tears
Kam McCleod and Bryer Schmegelsky
Grizz, Black Bear, Moose attacks...

It's as safe here in the backcountry as it is there - the difference is, there's a lot more of it up there. Firearms are tools, nothing more. If the reason you are carrying a firearm is because you are afraid of something, you probably shouldn't be in that situation or location, because things will go badly for you one way or another. My fear doesn't increase when I don't carry, it doesn't decrease when I do. There is no fear - because I'm prepared before I go in.

ITTOG

I guess you don't count the murders that happened last year? I think it included a manhunt. I wish I remembered more.

Speaking of grizz, we had our first 2022 grizzly attack and fatality about 3 weeks ago in the US (outside of Alaska) when a shed hunter hiking in southern Montana got killed by a bear just north of Yellowstone NP

That happened not long after my family and I was hiking in the area.

Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee

In the Ozark Mountains that smell isn't a still, it's a meth lab!

I have a 12 gauge with a pistol grip for the boat, mainly for snakes (without legs) on shore. They will chase you and I can't run like I use to.

I've never had any real issues in the woods, it's always been in the wrong place at the wrong time in town.

I grew up in Springfield, I could walk any neighborhood at any time and never have an issue. It's not that way today and this isn't a big city. I can and do carry at times and really wish I didn't feel it's necessary, but I think it is, better safe than sorry.

BUT, I'll always take off, get out, get away, hunker down or maybe play dead before I ever use a gun under dire circumstances. No matter if it is justified, most likely you will have legal problems and I don't want 12 peers trying to read my mind.

The most deadly animal on the planet is man!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles